117494: Cladh Maolrithe, Borve, Berneray

Cladh Maolrithe is the site of a standing stone, Clach MhòrCladh Maolrithe, sometimes Cladh Maolruibhe means graveyard of St Maolrubha, whose name influences several local placenames, including the nearby peninsula of Ardmaree, Aird Ma-Ruibhe.

Alongside the standing stone are traces of an ancient temple, possibly as old as 1800BC. Together, the temple and standing stone were originally encircled by three concentric rings of boulders. However many of the stones were used to build the new township of Borve in 1900. 

This vantage point was also the site of two later religious buildings. A chapel dedicated to St Columba was built here in the 6th century but later plundered by Vikings, Sometime from the early 13th century onwards, a church to St Maolrubha was established, possibly the site of a monastic community. St Maolrubha or St Maree was an Irish monk who travelled Scotland in 671AD, visiting Skye, Lewis and the Western Highlands in order to spread Christianity amongst the Picts. 

Cladh Maolrithe has long held special sanctity for the people of Berneray. Its importance is recalled by the continued use on Berneray of sayings such as ‘Tha Ma’ruibhe’ and ‘Ma’ruibhe tha’ as undeniable proof of the authenticity of a statement. During the mid 18th century the site was chosen for an important meeting between people of North Uist and Berneray, regarding the rights to several islands in the Sound of Harris.

Record Location

Details
Record Type:
Historical or Archaeological Site
Record Maintained by:
CEBH