115261: Tong Farm

Tong Farm came into existence in 1855, when the parish church moved to Sandwick. The former manse, with its views across Tong Sands towards Stornoway, became the farmhouse. A small U-plan steading was erected to the rear of the house.

The 1861 census listed the tenant as Alexander Grant and by 1871 the farm had been extended to 100 acres.

In 1889 Thomas Newall became the tenant. He passed the tenancy to his son, John, after his death, in 1902. John Newall was married to Ann Mackay and the couple were the tenants of Tong Farm.

In 1919 the farm was involved in the 'land grab', by landless ex-servicemen working as fishermen in Tong, along with the farms at Coll and Gress. Lord Leverhulme granted the raiders crofting rights at Tong Farm almost immediately. By March 1920 the offer of land had been made and the settlement known as Tong Park was formed in 1921.
 

Record Location

Details
Record Type:
Location
Type Of Location:
Farm
Record Maintained by:
HC