You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Cromore School, Pairc The new Public School at Cromore, replacing the old thatched school, was built in the late 1870s on the strength of the Education Act of 1872, to accommodate children from Cromore, Crobeg and Torostay. Upon the school... Yes 39490
Crowlista School Crowlista School, now demolished, was located on the spot which is now the car park for the Uig Community Centre. It had been established following the Education Act of 1872 and built circa 1880 to accommodate the... 21792
University of Glasgow The University of Glasgow is the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world. In 1451 James II of Scotland persuaded Pope Nicholas V to grant a bull authorising the setting up of the University. Due to... 13862
Sandwick Cemetery, Sandwick Old Sandwick Cemetery is a large cemetery on the outskirts of Stornoway. Stornoway Historical Society has published lists of memorial inscriptions. 10627
Park Free Church The Park Free Church was built in 1882 and has a seating capacity of approximately 750. During its construction, the local population helped in whatever way they could. Many of the materials used in the construction... Yes 724
Valtos Smithy The smithy, located near the pier in Valtos and now a ruin, was established by Murdo Smith (Murchadh Gobha) originally from Strome, whose son and grandson continued the trade. The following appeared in Uig News in... 21803
Free Church Training College, Glasgow The Free Church Training College was founded in Glasgow in 1845. It has also been known as the Free Church Normal Seminary and the United Free Church Training College. 22383
Valtos School Valtos Public School opened in 1876 after the Education Act of 1872. There was one large classroom which could be divided with a partition and a smaller classroom for the infants. The headmaster's house was attached. In... Yes 21795
Breasclete School, Breasclete 22384
Lemreway School, Pairc Lemreway Public School was established as a result of the Education Act of 1872, which stipulated that the 101 children in the area were entitled to an education. The school also served population of Orinsay, when it... Yes 25817
Church of Scotland, Miavaig The Miavaig or Ceann Langabhat Church is on the location of the original Free Church in Uig, built three years after the Disruption of 1843. That original building was thatched, and local tradition maintains that in the... Yes 21752
Baile na Cille Church (1829) The new church at Baile na Cille was built in 1829 to serve all of the Parish of Uig. It replaced the very much smaller thatched church, the ruins of which are evident on low ground next to the Baile na Cille cemetery.... Yes 24634
Baile na Cille Manse (1784) The Manse at Baile na Cille was built c1784 on glebe land just above the shore at Uig Sands, near the ancient cemetery and sanctuary around St Christopher's Chapel. It served as the residence of the Established Church... Yes 40694
Free Presbyterian Church, Miavaig The Free Presbyterian Church in Miavaig was originally a corrugate iron building. It was later rebuilt, with a manse behind it. 21753
Knock House Knock House, a combined church and school, was built in the 1840-50s. it belonged to the Free Church and was associated with the Free Church in Miavaig. When the school was built in Breaclete in the 1870s, Knock House... 22639
Miavaig - JETTY (Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD) Summary: JETTY (Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)Modern jetty Location: NB 09105 34391 Acknowledgement: Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006. 32790
Uig Lodge, Lewis Uig Lodge was built in 1876 by James Matheson and later given by Lord Leverhulme to his niece as a wedding present. It was the first concrete dwelling house in Scotland; the sand came from the northwest shore of Loch... Yes 21785
Ardroil Cemetery Yes 21781
SSPCK Parish School, Keose The first schools established by the Scottish Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge (SSPCK) in Lewis were at Barvas and Keose. In 1737 the SSPCK established the Parish School in Lochs and Mr James Thomson... 8934
University of Edinburgh Edinburgh University was established by Royal Charter by James VI in 1852. 13880
Gaelic School, Keose It is not certain when the Gaelic School in Keose was established but would have been after the SSPCK school closed. The building stood on the site of the present house, 'Am Fasgadh'. Keose. 57560
Kilmarnock Free Church 23225
Balallan School, Balallan In 1872 the Education (Scotland) Act vested complete responsibility for education with the Government but it took some time to build schools in Kinloch. Balallan School was opened on 26 May 1879 when 23 pupils were... Yes 22018
Bridgend Public School, Alness 46312
Gravir School, Pairc One of the earliest schools in Gravir was at what is now croft No 20. It was a black house known as "Sgoil na Leddies" and was set up in 1854, funded by the Ladies Highland Association. There is, however, reference to... Yes 686
Planasker School, Pairc Planasker School (1880-1973) served the families of Marvig and Calbost and replaced an earlier thatched building on the foreshore. The ruins of this original school can still be seen in the undergrowth just below the... Yes 44873
Gaelic School, Loch Shell In 1828, the Gaelic School Society established a new school at Loch Shell. The map position is approximate. 39474
Free Church of Scotland, Barvas 39205
Free Church of Scotland, Broadford 24867
Free Church of Scotland, Kinloch In January 1881, Presbytery granted an application from Kinloch to be erected into a regular ministerial charge after the need for another church in Lochs, apart from Crossbost, was highlighted and so the General... Yes 22846

Pages