You are here

Church of Scotland, Miavaig

Church of Scotland, Miavaig

The Miavaig or Ceann Langabhat Church is on the location of the original Free Church in Uig, built three years after the Disruption of 1843. That original building was thatched, and local tradition maintains that in the early years, a night watch was posted to ensure it wasn't set alight. The church was rebuilt in the early 20th century.

The Free Church merged again with the Established Church in 1900 and for many years both Uig churches (Miavaig and Baile na Cille) were in use by the same (Church of Scotland) congregation, but today only the Miavaig church is in use. The manse is located nearby in Uigen, and the Free Presbysterian church is also situated just across the road.

The following appeared in Uig News in April 2001:

The present renovations to the Church of Scotland, Ceann Langabhat, Miavaig, appear to be near completion. From the information we have received, the arched window in the gable end was put in place after the Church's renovation in 1913. It is a beautiful window with leaded stained glass.

The window was donated by Donald Maclennan (known as the Cearag, great-uncle of Johanne Maclennan of 9 Valtos) from Reithmir. He had emigrated to Florida in the early 1900s and there raised the money with the help of other eimgrants from Uig. We do not know how much this window cost at the time. This was the first renovation of the building since it was built in the 1840s, a site which was banked up by the people of the Free Church, as they had been refused land on which to build. The original church had two adjoining buildings and they could hold up to a thousand people.

Title: Church of Scotland, Miavaig
Record Type: Buildings and Public Amenities
Type: Church
Grid Ref Easting: 108720
Grid Ref Northing: 934780
Record Maintained By: CEU
Subject Id: 21752