You are here

Post Office, Cromore

Post Office, Cromore

In 1883, Ishbel Mackenzie or Bell, as she was known, established the first regular mail delivery service to South Lochs by running a ferry across Loch Erisort from Crossbost to Cromore. For the first eight years, the service operated over the summer months only, beginning in May and ending in October.

Meanwhile, her salary was four shillings a week, with a seasonal increment of one shilling and a further six shillings for running the ferry service to Cromore. She delivered the mail on foot as far as Lemreway.

In October 1912, Donald Macarthur opened a sub-Post Office in Cromore and started to operate the ferry service that brought the mails over from Crossbost. He also undertook deliveries locally in Cromore until 1931.

Sub-postmasters

1912-1931 - Donald Macarthur (Dan);

1931-1986 - Angus Macarthur (Aonghas Dan) and his wife Catherine (Ceit Ruadh);

1986 to the present day - Donald John Macarthur (Domhnall Iain Aonghais Dan)

Postmen

1912-1931 - Donald Macarthur;

1931-1973 - Angus Macarthur

 

Title: Post Office, Cromore
Record Type: Buildings and Public Amenities
Type: Post Office
Date Built: 1912
Period of Construction: 1912
Record Maintained By: CEP
Subject Id: 42244