You are here

Post Office, Marvig

Post Office, Marvig

The first sub-post office in Marvig was established in 1928 by Isobel MacFarlane (Isebal Alasdair Bhig), 10 Marvig, with five shillings she received from her father. She adapted her bedroom to accommodate the office from where she operated for two to three years. She then built a small house of her own and opened a shop which proved very successful. It was very popular with school children as they were able to buy lollipops on their way home from school.

Her business was so successful that she had plans to buy a car. Unfortunately, her health broke down and she was unable to carry on. The shop closed but the Post Office was taken over by her brother Angus (Samson). When he took ill and died it was taken over by his wife Christina and upon her retiral the Post Office moved to 13 Marvig, where it was run by Louisa Kennedy, on her retiral it moved to its present location at 5 Marvig.

Sub-postmistress 1928-1939: Isobel MacFarlane;
Sub-postmaster 1939-1951: Angus MacFarlane (Aonghas Alasdair Bhig), Isobel's brother;
Sub-postmistress 1951-1978: Chirsty MacFarlane;
Sub-postmistress 1978- ?: Louisa Kennedy, 13 Marvig.

Postmen

to 1917: John MacLeod (Iain an Choinnich) 3 Calbost;
1917-1940: Alexander Mackenzie (Gladaidh) 12 Calbost;
1940-1944: Roderick Finlayson (Tom) 10 Calbost;
1944-1958: Robert Macleod (Rob Ian an Choinnich) 3 Calbost;
1958-1960: Louisa MacKenzie (Louisa Dhomhnaill Sheumais) 12 Marvig;
1960-1973: Kenneth J MacKinnon (Coinneach Ruairaidh Herraich) 24 Marvig.

Title: Post Office, Marvig
Record Type: Buildings and Public Amenities
Type: Post Office
Date Built: 1928
Period of Construction: 1928
Record Maintained By: HC
Subject Id: 44878