Berneray School is situated at Ludag at the northern end of the island of Berneray.
At one time there were three schools on Berneray - the Primary School, the Gaelic School (close to the church) and also a 'Women's Industrial School'.
The primary school was built in 1877 and later extended. Children from Ruisgarry started school at the age of 5, those from Borve at the age of 6, due to the greater distance to walk to school. Back in the early 20th century, children went to school in bare feet, even in winter when it was snowing. Each pupil took a piece of peat for the fire. Children left the school at the age of 14.
In 1984 the building was damaged by fire, but was fully repaired. In 2005, with falling numbers of schoolchildren, the decision was made to close the school.
From: Berneray, Historical Guide and Trail, published by Berneray Historical Society.
Information Obtained From