You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort descending Id
Long Island Institution, Lochmaddy The Long island Institution was built as a combination poorhouse in 1883 close to Lochmaddy, to serve the parishes of Barra, Harris and the Uists. In 1907 it was converted for use as an asylum for "harmless lunatics".... 106184
Sandwick Cemetery, Sandwick Old Sandwick Cemetery is a large cemetery on the outskirts of Stornoway. Stornoway Historical Society has published lists of memorial inscriptions. 10627
Quarrier's Village Quarriers is a Scottish social care charity based in Quarrier's Village, Inverclyde. It provides care and support for people with disabilities, children and families, homeless young people, people with epilepsy and... 106549
Glasgow International Airport Glasgow International Airport is the principal transatlantic and longhaul entry airport into Scotland, located 6.9 miles (11km) west of Glasgow city centre. It is the second busiest airport in Scotland, after Edinburgh... 106563
Health Centre, Renfrew 106745
Uig School Uig School opened in November 1970 and was officially opened in 1971. This newly-built school replaced Valtos, Crowlista, Lochcroistean and Islivig schools. It had a primary and two-year secondary departments. The first... 106795
Burial Ground, Siabaidh This burial ground, located on the south coast of Berneray, was first used in 1954. 107086
Howmore Hostel 107120
Museum nan Eilean, Lionacleit 107139
Manish Free Church Manish Free Church was built in the 1850s and its construction was overseen by John Morison, Gobha na Hearadh. John Morison embarked on a tour on the Free Church ship Breadalbane to the Clyde in 1851, when he toured the... 107498
Greenock Royal Infirmary The infirmary became Greenock Royal Infirmary in 1922, in recognition of the valuable work done for soldiers and sailors in World War One. In 1974 it passed into the care of the Inverclyde District of the Argyll and... 107979
Bellshill Maternity Hospital Bellshill Maternity Hospital was located in North Road in Bellshill, starting as a two-ward hospital in the 1870s. In 1917 it began to specialise as a maternity hospital, the first in Lanarkshire. Bellshill saw the... 107980
Craig Dunain Hospital, Inverness 108052
SSPCK School, Scarista The SSPCK school was opened in 1732. This document on the Am Baile website shows that by 1748 13 boys and 9 girls were in attendance. 108290
SSPCK School, St Kilda The SSPCK school was opened in 1710. This document on the Am Baile website shows that by 1748 18 boys and 10 girls were in attendance.   108291
SSPCK School, Benbecula The SSPCK school was opened in 1725. This document on the Am Baile website shows that by 1748 40 boys and 14 girls were in attendance. 108292
Bute House, Edinburgh Bute House was designed by Robert Adam. In 1966, it was conveyed by the Marquess of Bute to the National Trust for Scotland, who still own it . From 1970-1999 it was the official residence of the Secretary of State for ... 109552
St Clements Church, Rodel 109715
Free Church College, Edinburgh The Free Church College in Edinburgh was founded in 1907 by the minority Free Church of Scotland following the merger of the majority of the original Free Church with the United Presbyterian Church to form the United... 109837
Kyles Stockinish School 109980
Stow College, Glasgow Stow College is a college in Glasgow with a proud heritage of over seventy five years of experience. 110742
Duke Street Hospital, Glasgow Duke Street Hospital, previously called Eastern District Hospital was a hospital in Glasgow. 110767
Garynahine Lodge Garynahine Lodge was built around the 19th century.  Formerly Garynahine Hotel, with adjacent stables, coach house, byre, barn and dairy; it has been used as a shooting lodge since 1925. It may incorporate parts of the... 111013
Free Church of Scotland, Ness 111372
HMS Pembroke Several Royal Navy ships have been named HMS Pembroke since 1655. However, during much of the 20th century, it was the name given to the shore barracks at Chatham. The construction of the permanent shore base at Chatham... 111852
Blar Buidhe Care Home, Stornoway Blar Buidhe Care Home is a purpose built forty bedded Care Home offering Dementia and Nursing Care. 111893
Carstairs State Hospital Carstairs State Hospital is a psychiatric hospital providing care and treatment in conditions of high security for around 140 patients from Scotland and Northern Ireland who need to be detained in hospital. 111896
St Columba's Gaelic Church of Scotland, Glasgow The congregation of St Columba dates back to 1770, although the building in Vincent Street was opened in 1904. It is also known as the Highland Cathedral. 113452
Sabhal Mòr Ostaig Sabhal Mòr Ostaig is a public higher education college, situated in the Sleat peninsula, in the south of the Isle of Skye.  Uniquely, its only medium of instruction is Scottish Gaelic.   114007
Cliff College, Calver Cliff College is a Christian theological college in Calver, Derbyshire. Historically it was a Methodist Lay Training College. 114034

Pages