You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Islivig Public School Islivig Public School replaced an older blackhouse school in Islivig; it is now in ruins. On Christmas Day, 1908 the schoolhouse was the scene of a meeting of 46 crofters and squatters of the district, who had been... Yes 41205
Eaglais Mharcoil The ruins of this church are on No 15 Kirkibost. The visible ruins are of a church that was built at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries by the "two Murdos". One, Murdo Macaulay moved to Tobson, the other was a... Yes 41326
Planasker School, Pairc Planasker School (1880-1973) served the families of Marvig and Calbost and replaced an earlier thatched building on the foreshore. The ruins of this original school can still be seen in the undergrowth just below the... Yes 44873
Post Office, Marvig The first sub-post office in Marvig was established in 1928 by Isobel MacFarlane (Isebal Alasdair Bhig), 10 Marvig, with five shillings she received from her father. She adapted her bedroom to accommodate the office... Yes 44878
Lews Castle, Stornoway Lews Castle was built by Sir James Matheson on the site of Seaforth Lodge, overlooking the town of Stornoway. The building cost £60,000 and, begun in 1847, took seven years to complete. At the same time extensive... Yes 45200
RAF Kinloch The RAF had a base at Soval, Kinloch from 1941 until they left in May 1942. Yes 46008
Carloway Pier Carloway Pier was built in 1892, on a small island (An Dunan) which was the location of a broch in earlier times. Yes 47175
Iron Age reconstructed house at Bosta This house is a reconstruction based on the excavated Late Iron Age 'jelly baby' houses. It was built using the techniques that were available at that time. No physical evidence of roofing survived on the archaeological... Yes 64704
Tigh na Leac Tigh na Leac in Bosta was known to be occupied when Neil Macleod was besieged on Berisay in the 1600s. Yes 65120
Berneray School Berneray School is situated at Ludag at the northern end of the island of Berneray. At one time there were three schools on Berneray - the Primary School, the Gaelic School (close to the church) and also a 'Women's... Yes 67798
Gravir School, Pairc One of the earliest schools in Gravir was at what is now croft No 20. It was a black house known as "Sgoil na Leddies" and was set up in 1854, funded by the Ladies Highland Association. There is, however, reference to... Yes 686
Park Free Church The Park Free Church was built in 1882 and has a seating capacity of approximately 750. During its construction, the local population helped in whatever way they could. Many of the materials used in the construction... Yes 724
Long Island Institution, Lochmaddy The Long island Institution was built as a combination poorhouse in 1883 close to Lochmaddy, to serve the parishes of Barra, Harris and the Uists. In 1907 it was converted for use as an asylum for "harmless lunatics".... 106184
Sandwick Cemetery, Sandwick Old Sandwick Cemetery is a large cemetery on the outskirts of Stornoway. Stornoway Historical Society has published lists of memorial inscriptions. 10627
Quarrier's Village Quarriers is a Scottish social care charity based in Quarrier's Village, Inverclyde. It provides care and support for people with disabilities, children and families, homeless young people, people with epilepsy and... 106549
Glasgow International Airport Glasgow International Airport is the principal transatlantic and longhaul entry airport into Scotland, located 6.9 miles (11km) west of Glasgow city centre. It is the second busiest airport in Scotland, after Edinburgh... 106563
Health Centre, Renfrew 106745
Uig School Uig School opened in November 1970 and was officially opened in 1971. This newly-built school replaced Valtos, Crowlista, Lochcroistean and Islivig schools. It had a primary and two-year secondary departments. The first... 106795
Burial Ground, Siabaidh This burial ground, located on the south coast of Berneray, was first used in 1954. 107086
Howmore Hostel 107120
Museum nan Eilean, Lionacleit 107139
Manish Free Church Manish Free Church was built in the 1850s and its construction was overseen by John Morison, Gobha na Hearadh. John Morison embarked on a tour on the Free Church ship Breadalbane to the Clyde in 1851, when he toured the... 107498
Greenock Royal Infirmary The infirmary became Greenock Royal Infirmary in 1922, in recognition of the valuable work done for soldiers and sailors in World War One. In 1974 it passed into the care of the Inverclyde District of the Argyll and... 107979
Bellshill Maternity Hospital Bellshill Maternity Hospital was located in North Road in Bellshill, starting as a two-ward hospital in the 1870s. In 1917 it began to specialise as a maternity hospital, the first in Lanarkshire. Bellshill saw the... 107980
Craig Dunain Hospital, Inverness 108052
SSPCK School, Scarista The SSPCK school was opened in 1732. This document on the Am Baile website shows that by 1748 13 boys and 9 girls were in attendance. 108290
SSPCK School, St Kilda The SSPCK school was opened in 1710. This document on the Am Baile website shows that by 1748 18 boys and 10 girls were in attendance.   108291
SSPCK School, Benbecula The SSPCK school was opened in 1725. This document on the Am Baile website shows that by 1748 40 boys and 14 girls were in attendance. 108292
Bute House, Edinburgh Bute House was designed by Robert Adam. In 1966, it was conveyed by the Marquess of Bute to the National Trust for Scotland, who still own it . From 1970-1999 it was the official residence of the Secretary of State for ... 109552
St Clements Church, Rodel 109715

Pages