You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Free Church College, Edinburgh The Free Church College in Edinburgh was founded in 1907 by the minority Free Church of Scotland following the merger of the majority of the original Free Church with the United Presbyterian Church to form the United... 109837
Kyles Stockinish School 109980
Stow College, Glasgow Stow College is a college in Glasgow with a proud heritage of over seventy five years of experience. 110742
Duke Street Hospital, Glasgow Duke Street Hospital, previously called Eastern District Hospital was a hospital in Glasgow. 110767
Garynahine Lodge Garynahine Lodge was built around the 19th century.  Formerly Garynahine Hotel, with adjacent stables, coach house, byre, barn and dairy; it has been used as a shooting lodge since 1925. It may incorporate parts of the... 111013
Free Church of Scotland, Ness 111372
HMS Pembroke Several Royal Navy ships have been named HMS Pembroke since 1655. However, during much of the 20th century, it was the name given to the shore barracks at Chatham. The construction of the permanent shore base at Chatham... 111852
Blar Buidhe Care Home, Stornoway Blar Buidhe Care Home is a purpose built forty bedded Care Home offering Dementia and Nursing Care. 111893
Carstairs State Hospital Carstairs State Hospital is a psychiatric hospital providing care and treatment in conditions of high security for around 140 patients from Scotland and Northern Ireland who need to be detained in hospital. 111896
St Columba's Gaelic Church of Scotland, Glasgow The congregation of St Columba dates back to 1770, although the building in Vincent Street was opened in 1904. It is also known as the Highland Cathedral. 113452
Sabhal Mòr Ostaig Sabhal Mòr Ostaig is a public higher education college, situated in the Sleat peninsula, in the south of the Isle of Skye.  Uniquely, its only medium of instruction is Scottish Gaelic.   114007
Cliff College, Calver Cliff College is a Christian theological college in Calver, Derbyshire. Historically it was a Methodist Lay Training College. 114034
Govan High School 114093
Ardveg Side School 114577
Brora High School 114579
Post Office, Manish 115419
Finsbay School 115420
Lionel School, Lionel 116873
Strathmartine Hospital, Dundee The former Strathmartine Hospital is believed to be Scotland’s first and oldest institution for people with learning difficulties. It is one of many institutions created in the nineteenth century for people with... 117062
Southern General Hospital, Glasgow The Southern General Hospital (SGH) was a large teaching Hospital with acute operational bed complement of approximately 900 beds. The hospital was located in Linthouse in the south west of Glasgow and provided a range... 117063
Gilbert Bain Hospital, Lerwick The Gilbert Bain Hospital is a rural general hospital in the burgh of Lerwick, Shetland. Specialist services are based in the hospital which is run by  NHS Shetland. 117064
Lochee Old Parish Church, Dundee 117066
Keil School, Dumbarton Keil School was a school in Dumbarton. After opening as a technical college in 1915 it later became an independent school for boys, then became co-educational before closing in 2000. 117067
Tanker Ha’ Children's Home, Kilmarnock Tanker Ha’ was a children’s home in Kilmarnock, run by the Church of Scotland. It has now been divided into a block of six flats. 117068
Deaconess Hospital, Edinburgh Deaconess Hospital opened in 1894 in a building next to Saint Ninian’s Mission. In 1948, the Deaconess became part of Edinburgh Southern Hospitals Group. In 1984, it joined the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and... 117156
Simpson Memorial Maternity Pavilion In 1879, money collected to commemorate the contribution of Sir James Young Simpson to obstetrics, ended the numerous moves to makeshift hospitals which had been made over the preceding forty years, and enabled the city... 117157
Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh (RIE), often known as Edinburgh Royal Infirmary (ERI) was established in 1729 and is the oldest voluntary hospital in Scotland. 117158
Baile na Cille Manse The Manse at Baile na Cille was built in 1784 on glebe land above the shore at Uig Sands, near the ancient cemetery and sanctuary around Saint Christopher’s Chapel. It served as a residence for the Established Church... 117173
Bible Training Institute, Glasgow The foundation of the BibleTraining Institute, originally located in Bothwell Street, Glasgow, Scotland, can be traced to visits to Glasgow between 1874 and 1891 by the American revivalists Dwight Lyman Moody and Ira D... 117193
Church of Scotland, Barvas 117194

Pages