You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Elgol School, Skye 13868
Jordanhill College, Glasgow Jordanhill College of Education was originally Glasgow Provincial College - a teacher training institution. In 1993 Jordanhill merged with Strathclyde University and formed their Faculty of Education.  13869
Aird School, Point 13870
University of Aberdeen The University of Aberdeen, founded in 1495, is Scotland's third oldest university. As of 2016 it had 13,000 students and 3000 staff.  Its campus contains many historic buildings.  13871
University of Edinburgh Edinburgh University was established by Royal Charter by James VI in 1852. 13880
Mearnskirk Hospital, Glasgow Mearnskirk Hospital for children was opened in May 1930 as a tubercolosis hopsital for patients under the age of 15.  13914
Manchester Regional Hospital Board There are several hospitals within the Manchester Regional Health Board 13915
County Hospital, Stornoway The County Hospital was founded by the Red Cross as the Willowglen Sanatorium (also known as the Red Cross Sanatorium, the Stornoway Sanatorium and the Lewis Sanatorium), during the First World War (circa 1916). It... 13917
Free Church of Scotland, Stornoway See the link below for information on churches in Stornoway. www.stornowayhistoricalsociety.org.uk 14041
Seaforth Head School Seaforth Head School during its lifetime was under the umbrella of Arivruach School. Among those who taught at Seaforth Head, many of them for short periods were Kate Montgomery, Ranish and Katie Ann Macmillan,... 21657
Free Presbyterian Church, Miavaig The Free Presbyterian Church in Miavaig was originally a corrugated iron building. It was later rebuilt, with a manse behind it. 21753
Valtos New Cemetery 21783
Uig Lodge Burial Ground The Burial Ground at Uig Lodge was never a formal cemetery; it was used principally for bodies washed ashore at Uig Sands, which could not be buried in consecrated ground. 21784
Lochcroistean School Lochcroistean School opened in 1879 (replacing an earlier Gaelic school nearby) in response the Education Act of 1872 which determined that all children were entitled to an education. The school was built to accommodate... 21790
Gaelic School, Crowlista Crowlista's first school, believed to have been a Gaelic School, was located in the village proper and was replaced by the new Public School (nearer to Timsgarry, beside the current school) after the Education Act of... 21791
Crowlista School Crowlista School, now demolished, was located on the spot which is now the car park for the Uig Community Centre. It had been established following the Education Act of 1872 and built circa 1880 to accommodate the... 21792
Mangersta School Mangersta School was opened in 1912 and closed in 1962. Initially, children from Mangersta to Ardroil were taught there and after Brenish School closed Brenish and Islivig children also attended there. 21794
Doctors House and Surgery, Miavaig The Doctor's House and Surgery in Miavaig was built in the 1930s, and is still serving the same purpose. The doctor serves the community of Uig and Bernera; the nearest hospital is Western Isles Hospital in Stornoway. 21799
Miavaig Smithy The Miavaig Smithy (now just a shell) was the forge belonging to Murdo Macleod of Uigen. 21801
Valtos Smithy The smithy, located near the pier in Valtos and now a ruin, was established by Murdo Smith (Murchadh Gobha) originally from Strome, whose son and grandson continued the trade. The following appeared in Uig News in... 21803
Free Church Training College, Glasgow The Free Church Training College was founded in Glasgow in 1845. It has also been known as the Free Church Normal Seminary and the United Free Church Training College. 22383
Breasclete School, Breasclete 22384
Drinishader School 22396
Knock House Knock House, a combined church and school, was built in the 1840-50s. it belonged to the Free Church and was associated with the Free Church in Miavaig. When the school was built in Breaclete in the 1870s, Knock House... 22639
Kilmarnock Free Church 23225
Knock School, Point 23851
Laxdale School 23852
Shawbost School 24161
Lewis Hospital, Stornoway The original hospital was situated on Goathill Road, Stornoway. A new hospital - the Western Isles Hospital - was opened in 1993 in Manor Park, Stornoway to replace the Lewis and County Hospitals. Doctor Grant, a... 24696
Leverndale Hospital, Glasgow Leverndale is associated with Dykebar and Hawkhead. Leverndale took the name Hawkhead and vice versa. Dykebar and the latter Leverndale were mental health hospitals and the latter Hawkhead became an isolation hospital... 24793

Pages