You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Gartnavel Hospital, Glasgow The Gartnavel site in Glasgow was the location for both the Gartnavel General and the Gartnavel Royal Hospital (mental health). It is also the location for the Beatson Oncology Centre. 24794
Free Church of Scotland, Broadford 24867
New College, Edinburgh New College was founded following the schism in the Church of Scotland, known as the Disruption. Those training for the new Free Church of Scotland needed a new college. Initially, from October 1843, classes for trainee... 24874
Military Hospital, Wrest Park, Bedford Wrest House is a stately house in Bedfordshire, England and was used a a military hospital in WW! 25039
St John's Ambulance Brigade Field Hospital, Etaples A St John's Ambulance Brigade's field hospital was located at Étaples, France during the First World War. 25041
West Earshader Farmhouse 25123
1st Crulivig School The first school in Crulivig was located at 3 Crulivig. During the 1880s it was moved to a location between 5 and 6 Crulivig. 25140
Post Office, Gravir The original sub post-office in Gravir was located close to the jetty at number 19 and was opened in December 1884. The sub-postmaster was Neil MacPhail (Niall Dhomhnaill 'an 'ic'Neill). His son Donald also worked in... 27837
United Free Church of Scotland, Kinloch By the time the Rev John Mackay, Garrabost was inducted to the vacancy in the Free Church, Kinloch, steps were in hand nationally, preparing for the union between the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church.... 29228
Miavaig - JETTY (Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD) Summary: JETTY (Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)Modern jetty Location: NB 09105 34391 Acknowledgement: Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006. 32790
Uig Museum, Crowlista Uig Museum, located in the new Community Centre (1998) in Crowlista, is a registered museum run by Comunn Eachdraidh Uig on a voluntary basis. Previously housed at Lochcroistean School, the collection includes a range... 35776
Buckingham Palace, London Buckingham Palace is the official London residence of the British monarch. It was originally the town house of the Dukes of Buckingham and was then called Buckingham House. 36129
Hawkhead Hospital, Paisley Hawkhead was originally the Govan District Asylum. It was renamed Leverndale and was one of three hospitals in Paisley dealing with mental health, the others being the original Leverndale and Dykebar.The new Hawkhead... 39164
High Church, Stornoway See the link below for information on churches in Stornoway. www.stornowayhistoricalsociety.org.uk 39204
Free Church of Scotland, Barvas 39205
Gaelic School, Balallan On 16 January 1811, the Edinburgh Society for the Support of Gaelic Schools was formed and this Society greatly influenced education in Lewis for the following 30 years. The first Gaelic School in Balallan opened in... 39451
Ladies Highland Association School, Balallan The school opened in 1858 in the old Gaelic School building at 15/16 Balallan. The teachers were: Mr George Bruce - 1858- Mr John Macphail - 1859- Mr Roderick Macrae - 1860-1863 (School roll was 36; one pupil was taught... 39460
Gaelic School, Loch Shell In 1828, the Gaelic School Society established a new school at Loch Shell. The map position is approximate. 39474
Gaelic School, Eishken In 1831 the Gaelic School Society opened a school in Eishken and enrolled 35 pupils. In Rev Robert Finlayson's letter to the Gaelic School Society on 23 November 1831, he writes that "the bible class read with ease and... 39476
Ladies Highland Association School, Arivruach The Edinburgh Free Church Ladies Association opened a school in Arivruach in 1872. Teachers in the school were: Donald Mackay - 1879 James Johnston - 1880 Murdo Martin, Uig - 1881 John Macvicar Peter Macleod - 1886 39478
Bosta Cemetery The present cemetery was built some time after 1878 when the people in the village had been resettled elsewhere in the island. Before this the burial ground was in Little Bernera which entailed taking the remains across... 39845
United Free Church, Bernera The United Free Church was in Breaclete. In the 1929 the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church amalgamated and the building was used as a dwelling house for the minister of the Church of Scotland. Once the... 40488
An Eaglais Dhearg When Dr P J Macleod bought the building, formerly used by the United Free Church, he gave it to the Bernera recreation club. It was painted red and known as "an Eaglais Dhearg" (the red church). Part of it was used by... 40490
Gaelic School, Old Shieldenish There was a Gaelic School in Shieldinish at one time although its location is not known. 40551
Post Office, Bernera The Post Office in Bernera was run by members of the same family for over a hundred years. It was first situated in No.3 Breaclete, run by Donald Maciver and later, when his son John took over the running of the Office... 40553
Post Office, Crulivig The Post Office in Crulivig was located at No 5 or "an Ard" as it was better known. It was run by Murdo Macdonald "Murchadh Dhomhnaill Bhain" and, during the war years when Murdo was in the Navy, by his sister Catherine... 40554
Free English Church, Stornoway The Free English Church was established in Stornoway in 1875 to provide for English speaking residents and visitors who were adherents of the Free Church. The church was situated at the corner of Francis Street and... 40700
Bragar School 40724
Stornoway Airport Stornoway Airport is an airfield located two miles east of Stornoway, first opened in 1937 and initally used mainly for military purposes. The Royal Air Force (RAF) maintained a base at the airport unitl 1998. North... 40758
Stornoway Town Hall, South Beach Street Stornoway Town Hall was built in 1905 on South Beach Street, Stornoway. The building was destroyed by a fire in March 1918, with only the walls left standing. It was rebuilt in 1929. 40761

Pages