You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Raigmore Hospital, Inverness Riagmore Hospital Inverness is an acute general hospital. The present bulding was begun in 1970 and has expanded greatly. It is now a clinical teaching centre. 40998
Post Office, Cromore In 1883, Ishbel Mackenzie or Bell, as she was known, established the first regular mail delivery service to South Lochs by running a ferry across Loch Erisort from Crossbost to Cromore. For the first eight years, the... 42244
Govanhill Free Church, Glasgow 42931
Bethesda Care Home & Hospice, Stornoway Bethesda Care Home and Hospice is a charitable institution, situated in Springfield Road. The nursing home caters for clients of Western Isles Council Social Work Department. The hospice has 4 beds for care of cancer... 43303
Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow Stobhill opened as a Poor Law hospital in 1904, with 1867 beds. It was requisitioned in 1914 for wounded services. It returned to civilian use in 1920 and became a general hospital in 1929. 45078
Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital Now known as the Princess Royal Maternity Hospital 45079
Free Church Training College, Edinburgh Prior to 1907, it was the church that provided training for teachers in Scotland. The Free Church of Scotland Training College in Edinburgh was established following the Disruption of 1843, accepting its first students... 45210
White House, Washington State 45449
Pairc School (from 1973) Pairc Primary School was officially opened on 26 September 1973 by Group Captain Rev Murdo Kennedy Macleod, with acceptance of the building by Rev Donald Macleod and the prayer of dedication by Rev William Campbell. The... 46017
Gaelic School, Kershader In 1832, Kershader School opened and was located on croft 6 Kershader. The teacher was Angus Matheson and the population of the school was 150. 46224
Bridgend Public School, Alness 46312
Sandwickhill School Sandwickhill School was a primary school located in East Street, Stornoway.  Following a census of Sandwickhill children in 1873, the School Board of Stornoway scheduled the provision of a new school, for girls and boys... 46834
Back School 46890
Ladies Highland Association School, Lemreway A school run by the Ladies Highland Association was established in Lemreway sometime between 1854 and 1861, in what is now the Mission Hall in the village. It closed with the opening of the new school in 1881. Known... 47263
Habost Tack House Habost Tack House was situated on the shore at what is now 13 Habost, before the village was broken up into crofts, and was occupied by the tacksman and his family. Now gone, the house was built of stone and lime walls... 47682
Church of Scotland Mission House The Mission House in Habost was built in 1911 and opened to a large crowd. This was originally the church in Laxay and it was moved to Habost when the present Church of Scotland was built there. It was a wooden... 47713
Shaughnessy Military Hospital, Vancouver Shaughnessy Military Hospital was built as Hycroft, a mansion in the affluent area of Vancouver known as Shaughnessy Heights. Most of these large houses became schools, nursing homes and other service providers. 49959
SSPCK School, Bernera A school was established in Breaclete, Bernera in the early years of the 19th century by the Scottish Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge. It was never well-attended and eventually closed after 27 months... 50154
SSPCK School, Baile na Cille A school was established at Baile na Cille by the Scottish Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge, sometime early in the 19th century. Its location is unknown but it may have been near the Manse. 50155
Ladies Highland Association School, Cromore By 1864 there was a Sgoil nan Leidies at Cromore, supported by the Ladies' Highland Association with a J Macneil as schoolmaster and Miss Macneil as sewing mistress. This seems to have replaced the earlier Gaelic School... 50156
Gaelic School, Marvig A Gaelic School was established on the shore at Marvig, below the site of the later Planasker School, in 1828, supported by the Gaelic School Society. Known teachers were Angus Mackay (1833), Alexander Forbes (1833-34)... 50157
Ladies Highland Association School, Gravir One of the earliest schools in Gravir was at what is now croft No 20. It was a black house known as "Sgoil na Leddies" and was set up in 1854, funded by the Ladies Highland Association. This, along with an Uig school,... 50158
Gaelic School, Calbost The Gaelic School at Calbost was circulatory - that is, a temporary school that spent a year or more in a village before moving on to serve another. The building, which was also a village prayer house, was below the... 50159
Gaelic School, Cromore A Gaelic School was established at Cromore in 1829, supported by the Gaelic Schools Society. Tradition maintains it was built by the West Coast Mission. It had been replaced by 1864 by a Ladies Highland Association... 50165
Gaelic? School, Lemreway There appears to have been a school in Lemreway as early as the 1830s or 1840s, as a school teacher, Peter Macewen, is listed in the 1841 census, lodging in the village with his sister Catherine. It is likely that this... 50170
Morsgail Side School A small side-school was held in Morsgail when numbers merited, under the supervision of Lochcroistean School. The schoolrooms were above the stable. According to tradition there was school in operation for the family of... 51537
Scaliscro Side School There was a side school at Scalisgro when gamekeeper Kenneth Mackenzie (Coinneach Alasdair Choinnich) from Achmore was married to Catherine Murray (Ceit a Nisich) and lived there. Their two sons Roddy and Alexander were... 51540
Dunfermline Academy Dunfermline Academy of Sport Fife 55157
Dykebar Hospital Dykebar was one of three hospitals in the Paisley area dealing with mental health, the others being the original Leverndale and Hawkhead. The new Hawkhead hospital became the isolation hospital for tuberculosis patients... 57292
Ruchill Hospital, Glasgow Ruchill Hospital was opened in 1900 as a 440 bed hospital for infectious diseases. The hospital soon expanded, with an additional 272 beds added for tuberculosis patients by 1915. The hospital finally closed in 1999. 57325

Pages