You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Gaelic School, Keose It is not certain when the Gaelic School in Keose was established but would have been after the SSPCK school closed. The building stood on the site of the present house, 'Am Fasgadh'. Keose. 57560
Tong School 57744
Gartloch Hospital Gartloch Hospital was built by the Glasgow District Lunacy Board and opened in 1896. A TB unit was opened in 1902.The hospital became an Emergency Medical Services unit during World War 2, and the psychiatric patients... 58455
Gaelic School, Arivruach One of the many schools set up to teach pupils to read the Bible in their owm language. These schools stayed in a location for about a year. 58497
Morsgail Lodge On Morsgail Estate, the old Morsgail Lodge, situated at Loch Morsgail near Kinlochroag, burned down in the 1980s and was replaced by a modern house. Nearby is the old stable, above which were the schoolrooms when a... 60464
Amhuinnsuidhe Castle, Harris Amhuinnsuidhe Castle was built in 1867 in Scottish baronial style by the 7th Earl of Dunmore. It passed through various hands since then and is now in private ownership following a joint bid with the local community to... 60766
Church of Scotland, Garrabost 62160
Free Church of Scotland, Shawbost 62765
Baile na Cille Cemetery A very old circular burial ground and sanctuary, containing the remains of a chapel (or two) dedicated to St Christopher. Tradition maintains that the cemetery was built on rock, within the circular wall and the... 65115
Erskine Hospital A hospital founded in 1916 for ex service personnel catering for anyone who has been in the armed services irrespective of rank or time of service.   67269
Lionacleit Community Library The community library for the Uist islands is located at the community school, Sgoil Lionacleit, on the island of Benbecula. As well as the normal range of books for loan, it holds an extensive collection of local... 67499
Sgoil Lionacleit Sgoil Lionacleit, otherwise Liniclate School, serves secondary aged children in the Uists. The school opened in 1988. Within it are situated the community library, public swimming pool and local museum, amongst other... 70036
Scarp School 72007
Post Office, Lemreway The first Post Office was opened in 1928 by Donald Kennedy, 22 Lemreway and was followed by his son Iain who served from 1936-56. Another son Angus, was sub-postmaster from 1956-65. In 1965, Barbara Nicolson was... 73092
Post Office, Kershader The mails for Habost, Kershader, Garyvard and Caversta were originally sorted at the Laxay office and ferried across Loch Erisort for local distribution. Donald Mackay, 11 Kershader and his brother Finlay, were... 73095
Fusehill Military Hospital, Carlisle Fusehill was used as a military hospital during both world wars.  75938
Obbe School, Leverburgh Obbe School is now named Leverhulme Memorial School. 76560
Inverness Royal Academy Founded in 1792 to replace the town's Grammar School, Inverness Academy was located in New Street, re-named Academy Street. In 1793 it received a Royal Charter from King George III. The Royal Academy relocated to... 76798
Torlum School 77126
SSPCK Parish School, Keose The first schools established by the Society in Scotland for Propagating Christian Knowledge (SSPCK) in Lewis were at Barvas and Keose. In 1737 the SSPCK established the Parish School in Lochs and Mr James Thomson was... 8934

Pages