You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Bosta Cemetery The present cemetery was built some time after 1878 when the people in the village had been resettled elsewhere in the island. Before this the burial ground was in Little Bernera which entailed taking the remains across... 39845
Post Office, Bernera The Post Office in Bernera was run by members of the same family for over a hundred years. It was first situated in No.3 Breaclete, run by Donald Maciver and later, when his son John took over the running of the Office... 40553
United Free Church of Scotland, Kinloch By the time the Rev John Mackay, Garrabost was inducted to the vacancy in the Free Church, Kinloch, steps were in hand nationally, preparing for the union between the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church.... 29228
Ladies Highland Association School, Gravir One of the earliest schools in Gravir was at what is now croft No 20. It was a black house known as "Sgoil na Leddies" and was set up in 1854, funded by the Ladies Highland Association. This, along with an Uig school,... 50158
Gaelic School, Marvig A Gaelic School was established on the shore at Marvig, below the site of the later Planasker School, in 1828, supported by the Gaelic School Society. Known teachers were Angus Mackay (1833), Alexander Forbes (1833-34)... 50157
Gaelic School, Calbost The Gaelic School at Calbost was circulatory - that is, a temporary school that spent a year or more in a village before moving on to serve another. The building, which was also a village prayer house, was below the... 50159
Shawbost School 24161
Lochcroistean School Lochcroistean School opened in 1879 (replacing an earlier Gaelic school nearby) in response the Education Act of 1872 which determined that all children were entitled to an education. The school was built to accommodate... 21790
Berneray School Berneray School is situated at Ludag at the northern end of the island of Berneray. At one time there were three schools on Berneray - the Primary School, the Gaelic School (close to the church) and also a 'Women's... Yes 67798
Drinishader School 22396
Scarp School 72007
Amhuinnsuidhe Castle, Harris Amhuinnsuidhe Castle was built in 1867 in Scottish baronial style by the 7th Earl of Dunmore. It passed through various hands since then and is now in private ownership following a joint bid with the local community to... 60766
Post Office, Marvig The first sub-post office in Marvig was established in 1928 by Isobel MacFarlane (Isebal Alasdair Bhig), 10 Marvig, with five shillings she received from her father. She adapted her bedroom to accommodate the office... Yes 44878
Govanhill Free Church, Glasgow 42931
Aberdeen University Aberdeen University, founded in 1495, is Scotland's third oldest university. It has 13,000 students and 3000 staff.  Its campus contains many historic buildings.  13871
Ladies Highland Association School, Lemreway A school run by the Ladies Highland Association was established in Lemreway sometime between 1854 and 1861, in what is now the Mission Hall in the village. It closed with the opening of the new school in 1881. Known... 47263
Post Office, Gravir The original sub post-office in Gravir was located close to the jetty at number 19 and was opened in December 1884. The sub-postmaster was Neil MacPhail (Niall Dhomhnaill 'an 'ic'Neill). His son Donald also worked in... 27837
Morsgail Side School A small side-school was held in Morsgail when numbers merited, under the supervision of Lochcroistean School. The schoolrooms were above the stable. According to tradition there was school in operation for the family of... 51537
Islivig Public School Islivig Public School replaced an older blackhouse school in Islivig; it is now in ruins. On Christmas Day, 1908 the schoolhouse was the scene of a meeting of 46 crofters and squatters of the district, who had been... Yes 41205
Post Office, Kershader The mails for Habost, Kershader, Garyvard and Caversta were originally sorted at the Laxay office and ferried across Loch Erisort for local distribution. Donald Mackay, 11 Kershader and his brother Finlay, were... 73095
Post Office, Lemreway The first Post Office was opened in 1928 by Donald Kennedy, 22 Lemreway and was followed by his son Iain who served from 1936-56. Another son Angus, was sub-postmaster from 1956-65. In 1965, Barbara Nicolson was... 73092
Inverness Royal Academy Founded in 1792 to replace the town's Grammar School, Inverness Academy was located in New Street, re-named Academy Street. In 1793 it received a Royal Charter from King George III. The Royal Academy relocated to... 76798
Bernera School Bernera School, in the village of Breaclete, was officially opened on the 14th July 1881 by School Board; Mssrs Gillies, Macarthur and Macleod. Until 1963 the pupils were all living in Bernera, and the children in Tir... Yes 25138
Cleitir Hotel, Shieldenish Originally a guest house but now run as a hotel. Yes 26857
Erskine Hospital A hospital founded in 1916 for ex service personnel catering for anyone who has been in the armed services irrespective of rank or time of service.   67269
Baile na Cille Cemetery A very old circular burial ground and sanctuary, containing the remains of a chapel (or two) dedicated to St Christopher. Tradition maintains that the cemetery was built on rock, within the circular wall and the... 65115
Elgol School, Skye 13868
Bethesda Care Home & Hospice, Stornoway Bethesda Care Home and Hospice is a charitable institution, situated in Springfield Road. The nursing home caters for clients of Western Isles Council Social Work Department. The hospice has 4 beds for care of cancer... 43303
Valtos Pier Valtos was already an important fishing station, with a salt cellar, when in 1824 it was decided by the estate (under Mr Stewart Mackenzie) that a pier was needed, if the fishing was to be properly exploited. The cost... Yes 21804
Obbe School, Leverburgh Obbe School is now named Leverhulme Memorial School. 76560

Pages