You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Knock School, Point 23851
Laxdale School 23852
Church of Scotland, Kinloch In 1929, a Union took place between the Established Church of Scotland and the United Free Church of Scotland, thereafter called the Church of Scotland. Yes 29110
Uig Museum, Crowlista Uig Museum, located in the new Community Centre (1998) in Crowlista, is a registered museum run by Comunn Eachdraidh Uig on a voluntary basis. Previously housed at Lochcroistean School, the collection includes a range... 35776
Leverndale Hospital, Glasgow Leverndale is associated with Dykebar and Hawkhead. Leverndale took the name Hawkhead and vice versa. Dykebar and the latter Leverndale were mental health hospitals and the latter Hawkhead became an isolation hospital... 24793
Gartnavel Hospital, Glasgow The Gartnavel site in Glasgow was the location for both the Gartnavel General and the Gartnavel Royal Hospital (mental health). It is also the location for the Beatson Oncology Centre. 24794
Hawkhead Hospital, Paisley Hawkhead was originally the Govan District Asylum. It was renamed Leverndale and was one of three hospitals in Paisley dealing with mental health, the others being the original Leverndale and Dykebar.The new Hawkhead... 39164
2nd Crulivig School Crulivig School moved from 3 Crulivig to a location between 5 and 6 Crulivig (probably in the 1880s). Yes 25141
Habost Tack House Habost Tack House was situated on the shore at what is now 13 Habost, before the village was broken up into crofts, and was occupied by the tacksman and his family. Now gone, the house was built of stone and lime walls... 47682
Free Church Training College, Edinburgh Prior to 1907, it was the church that provided training for teachers in Scotland. The Free Church of Scotland Training College in Edinburgh was established following the Disruption of 1843, accepting its first students... 45210
Iron Age reconstructed house at Bosta This house is a reconstruction based on the excavated Late Iron Age 'jelly baby' houses. It was built using the techniques that were available at that time. No physical evidence of roofing survived on the archaeological... Yes 64704
Gaelic School, Crowlista Crowlista's first school, believed to have been a Gaelic School, was located in the village proper and was replaced by the new Public School (nearer to Timsgarry, beside the current school) after the Education Act of... 21791
Dykebar Hospital Dykebar was one of three hospitals in the Paisley area dealing with mental health, the others being the original Leverndale and Hawkhead. The new Hawkhead hospital became the isolation hospital for tuberculosis patients... 57292
Pairc School (from 1973) Pairc Primary School was officially opened on 26 September 1973 by Group Captain Rev Murdo Kennedy Macleod, with acceptance of the building by Rev Donald Macleod and the prayer of dedication by Rev William Campbell. The... 46017
Post Office, Cromore In 1883, Ishbel Mackenzie or Bell, as she was known, established the first regular mail delivery service to South Lochs by running a ferry across Loch Erisort from Crossbost to Cromore. For the first eight years, the... 42244
Gaelic School, Eishken In 1831 the Gaelic School Society opened a school in Eishken and enrolled 35 pupils. In Rev Robert Finlayson's letter to the Gaelic School Society on 23 November 1831, he writes that "the bible class read with ease and... 39476
SSPCK School, Baile na Cille A school was established at Baile na Cille by the Scottish Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge, sometime early in the 19th century. Its location is unknown but it may have been near the Manse. 50155
Mangersta School Mangersta School was opened in 1912 and closed in 1962. Initially, children from Mangersta to Ardroil were taught there and after Brenish School closed Brenish and Islivig children also attended there. 21794
Church of Scotland, Garrabost 62160
Church of Scotland Mission Hall, Arivruach This building is no longer in use as a Mission Hall. Yes 39420
Stornoway Town Hall, South Beach Street Stornoway Town Hall was built in 1905 on South Beach Street, Stornoway. The building was destroyed by a fire in March 1918, with only the walls left standing. It was rebuilt in 1929. 40761
Scaliscro Side School There was a side school at Scalisgro when gamekeeper Kenneth Mackenzie (Coinneach Alasdair Choinnich) from Achmore was married to Catherine Murray (Ceit a Nisich) and lived there. Their two sons Roddy and Alexander were... 51540
Jordanhill College, Glasgow Jordanhill College of Education was originally Glasgow Provincial College - a teacher training institution. In 1993 Jordanhill merged with Strathclyde University and formed their Faculty of Education.  13869
Gaelic School, Old Shieldenish There was a Gaelic School in Shieldinish at one time although its location is not known. 40551
Stornoway Airport Stornoway Airport is an airfield located two miles east of Stornoway, first opened in 1937 and initally used mainly for military purposes. The Royal Air Force (RAF) maintained a base at the airport unitl 1998. North... 40758
Gaelic School, Cromore A Gaelic School was established at Cromore in 1829, supported by the Gaelic Schools Society. Tradition maintains it was built by the West Coast Mission. It had been replaced by 1864 by a Ladies Highland Association... 50165
Seaweed Factory, Keose The factory was opened in 1965 and was run by Alginate Industries Ltd, processing seaweed until Keose Co-operative Ltd took over in 1980. In September 1981, Mr John Alex Mackenzie took over the business who planned to... Yes 24393
Fusehill Military Hospital, Carlisle Fusehill was used as a military hospital during both world wars.  75938
Free Church of Scotland, Stornoway See the link below for information on churches in Stornoway. www.stornowayhistoricalsociety.org.uk 14041
Buckingham Palace, London Buckingham Palace is the official London residence of the British monarch. It was originally the town house of the Dukes of Buckingham and was then called Buckingham House. 36129

Pages