You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Titlesort descending Description Images Id
Erskine Hospital A hospital founded in 1916 for ex service personnel catering for anyone who has been in the armed services irrespective of rank or time of service.   67269
Esdaile College, Edinburgh A former school for daughters of the manse, Esdaile closed in the late 1960s and was converted into private residential flats. The Esdaile Trust still assists financially with the schooling of daughters of ministers of... 118929
Finsbay School 115420
Fodderty Cemetery, Strathpeffer Fodderty Cemetery is situated in the hamlet of Fodderty, near Strathpeffer. 119069
Free Church College, Edinburgh The Free Church College in Edinburgh was founded in 1907 by the minority Free Church of Scotland following the merger of the majority of the original Free Church with the United Presbyterian Church to form the United... 109837
Free Church Training College, Edinburgh Prior to 1907, it was the church that provided training for teachers in Scotland. The Free Church of Scotland Training College in Edinburgh was established following the Disruption of 1843, accepting its first students... 45210
Free Church Training College, Glasgow The Free Church Training College was founded in Glasgow in 1845. It has also been known as the Free Church Normal Seminary and the United Free Church Training College. 22383
Free Church of Scotland, Barvas 39205
Free Church of Scotland, Broadford 24867
Free Church of Scotland, Kinloch In January 1881, Presbytery granted an application from Kinloch to be erected into a regular ministerial charge after the need for another church in Lochs, apart from Crossbost, was highlighted and so the General... Yes 22846
Free Church of Scotland, Ness 111372
Free Church of Scotland, Shawbost 62765
Free Church of Scotland, Stornoway See the link below for information on churches in Stornoway. www.stornowayhistoricalsociety.org.uk 14041
Free English Church, Stornoway The Free English Church was established in Stornoway in 1875 to provide for English speaking residents and visitors who were adherents of the Free Church. The church was situated at the corner of Francis Street and... 40700
Free North Church, Inverness The Free North Church is a member of the Free Church of Scotland. It is a Gothic church designed by Alexander Ross and completed in 1893, and is situated on the banks of the River Ness at 27 Bank Street, Inverness IV1... 119097
Free Presbyterian Church, Miavaig The Free Presbyterian Church in Miavaig was originally a corrugated iron building. It was later rebuilt, with a manse behind it. 21753
Fusehill Military Hospital, Carlisle Fusehill was used as a military hospital during both world wars.  75938
Gaelic School, Arivruach One of the many schools set up to teach pupils to read the Bible in their owm language. These schools stayed in a location for about a year. 58497
Gaelic School, Balallan On 16 January 1811, the Edinburgh Society for the Support of Gaelic Schools was formed and this Society greatly influenced education in Lewis for the following 30 years. The first Gaelic School in Balallan opened in... 39451
Gaelic School, Calbost The Gaelic School at Calbost was circulatory - that is, a temporary school that spent a year or more in a village before moving on to serve another. The building, which was also a village prayer house, was below the... 50159
Gaelic School, Cromore A Gaelic School was established at Cromore in 1829, supported by the Gaelic Schools Society. Tradition maintains it was built by the West Coast Mission. It had been replaced by 1864 by a Ladies Highland Association... 50165
Gaelic School, Crowlista Crowlista's first school, believed to have been a Gaelic School, was located in the village proper and was replaced by the new Public School (nearer to Timsgarry, beside the current school) after the Education Act of... 21791
Gaelic School, Eishken In 1831 the Gaelic School Society opened a school in Eishken and enrolled 35 pupils. In Rev Robert Finlayson's letter to the Gaelic School Society on 23 November 1831, he writes that "the bible class read with ease and... 39476
Gaelic School, Keose It is not certain when the Gaelic School in Keose was established but would have been after the SSPCK school closed. The building stood on the site of the present house, 'Am Fasgadh'. Keose. 57560
Gaelic School, Kershader In 1832, Kershader School opened and was located on croft 6 Kershader. The teacher was Angus Matheson and the population of the school was 150. 46224
Gaelic School, Loch Shell In 1828, the Gaelic School Society established a new school at Loch Shell. The map position is approximate. 39474
Gaelic School, Marvig A Gaelic School was established on the shore at Marvig, below the site of the later Planasker School, in 1828, supported by the Gaelic School Society. Known teachers were Angus Mackay (1833), Alexander Forbes (1833-34)... 50157
Gaelic School, Old Shieldenish There was a Gaelic School in Shieldinish at one time although its location is not known. 40551
Gaelic? School, Lemreway There appears to have been a school in Lemreway as early as the 1830s or 1840s, as a school teacher, Peter Macewen, is listed in the 1841 census, lodging in the village with his sister Catherine. It is likely that this... 50170
Gartloch Hospital Gartloch Hospital was built by the Glasgow District Lunacy Board and opened in 1896. A TB unit was opened in 1902.The hospital became an Emergency Medical Services unit during World War 2, and the psychiatric patients... 58455

Pages