You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Finsbay School 115420
Strathmartine Hospital, Dundee The former Strathmartine Hospital is believed to be Scotland’s first and oldest institution for people with learning difficulties. It is one of many institutions created in the nineteenth century for people with... 117062
Southern General Hospital, Glasgow The Southern General Hospital (SGH) was a large teaching Hospital with acute operational bed complement of approximately 900 beds. The hospital was located in Linthouse in the south west of Glasgow and provided a range... 117063
Baile na Cille Manse The Manse at Baile na Cille was built in 1784 on glebe land above the shore at Uig Sands, near the ancient cemetery and sanctuary around Saint Christopher’s Chapel. It served as a residence for the Established Church... 117173
Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow 118647
Western General Hospital, Edinburgh 118648
Church of Scotland, Castle Street, Dingwall The church is located in the heart of Dingwall on the north east of Scotland. 118863
Glasgow College of Building 119027
Airidhantuim Primary School, Shader, Ness, Lewis 119163
Sandwickhill School Sandwickhill School was a primary school located in East Street, Stornoway.  Following a census of Sandwickhill children in 1873, the School Board of Stornoway scheduled the provision of a new school, for girls and boys... 46834
County Hospital, Stornoway The County Hospital was founded by the Red Cross as the Willowglen Sanatorium (also known as the Red Cross Sanatorium, the Stornoway Sanatorium and the Lewis Sanatorium), during the First World War (circa 1916). It... 13917
Long Island Institution, Lochmaddy The Long island Institution was built as a combination poorhouse in 1883 close to Lochmaddy, to serve the parishes of Barra, Harris and the Uists. In 1907 it was converted for use as an asylum for "harmless lunatics".... 106184
Burial Ground, Siabaidh This burial ground, located on the south coast of Berneray, was first used in 1954. 107086
HMS Pembroke Several Royal Navy ships have been named HMS Pembroke since 1655. However, during much of the 20th century, it was the name given to the shore barracks at Chatham. The construction of the permanent shore base at Chatham... 111852
St Columba's Gaelic Church of Scotland, Glasgow The congregation of St Columba dates back to 1770, although the building in Vincent Street was opened in 1904. It is also known as the Highland Cathedral. 113452
Sabhal Mòr Ostaig Sabhal Mòr Ostaig is a public higher education college, situated in the Sleat peninsula, in the south of the Isle of Skye.  Uniquely, its only medium of instruction is Scottish Gaelic.   114007
Lionel School, Lionel 116873
McGill University, Montreal 117355
Royal High School, Edinburgh It is generally accepted that the Royal High School is one of the oldest in Europe, possibly founded in 1128 when King David I founded the Abbey of Holyrood with which the school was first associated. The School is... 119065
Fodderty Cemetery, Strathpeffer Fodderty Cemetery is situated in the hamlet of Fodderty, near Strathpeffer. 119069
Free North Church, Inverness The Free North Church is a member of the Free Church of Scotland. It is a Gothic church designed by Alexander Ross and completed in 1893, and is situated on the banks of the River Ness at 27 Bank Street, Inverness IV1... 119097
La Clytte Military Cemetery, Belgium La Clytte Military Cemetery is located in the West-Vlaanderen region of Belgium. 119106
St Ringan's Church, Lerwick St Ringan’s was a United Presbyterian Church upon its opening in 1886, situated in Lower Hillhead, Lerwick. With the union of 1900  between the  United  Free Church and  United  Presbyterian Churches, St Ringan’s became... 119121
Partick Free Church Partick Free Church is located at 29 Crow Road, Partick, Glasgow. It was designed by the architectural practice of A. Petrie and Sons, and was built in 1910 to a plain rectangular plan with a simple gable facade... 119193
St Columba's Church of Scotland, Copland Road St Columba's was located at 1 Copland Road, Govan. The church was demolished on 4th September 2000.  119212
Hawkhead Cemetery, Paisley Hawkhead Cemetery is a large Victorian cemetery located on Hawkhead  Road in southeast Paisley, south of Glasgow. The site includes graves of casualties from World War One and World War Two which are maintained by the... 119229
Balmacara House School Balmacara House School, an agricultural and horticultural college for boys aged 16-18, opened in the early 1950s and operated in that way until the early 1970s. The School comprised the main building, an annex that was... 119233

Pages