You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
School for the Deaf, Edinburgh 119546
Drumsmittal School, Black Isle 119549
Stag's Head Hotel, Golspie 119624
Taigh Coinneamh Rheithimir Taigh Coinneamh Rheithimir was refurbished by John Maclean, 17 Valtos. 120215
Craig Phadrig Hospital CRAIG PHADRIG HOSPITAL, INVERNESS situated adjacent to Craig Dunain. Craig Phadrig was officially opened in 1970 for mentally handicapped patients. 120876
Sacred Heart Hospital, Daliburgh, South Uist Daliburgh Hospital, South Uist was established in 1894 through a financial donation through the Marquis of Bute, leading to the hospital being known at the Bute Hospital. Originally set up as a non-denominationally... 120910
Sandwickhill School Sandwickhill School was a primary school located in East Street, Stornoway.  Following a census of Sandwickhill children in 1873, the School Board of Stornoway scheduled the provision of a new school, for girls and boys... 46834
County Hospital, Stornoway The County Hospital was founded by the Red Cross as the Willowglen Sanatorium (also known as the Red Cross Sanatorium, the Stornoway Sanatorium and the Lewis Sanatorium), during the First World War (circa 1916). It... 13917
Lews Castle, Stornoway Lews Castle was built by Sir James Matheson on the site of Seaforth Lodge, overlooking the town of Stornoway. The building cost £60,000 and, begun in 1847, took seven years to complete. At the same time extensive... Yes 45200
The Round Church, Bowmore Completed in 1769, Bowmore's Round Church serves the parish of Kilarrow on Islay.  105802
Long Island Institution, Lochmaddy The Long island Institution was built as a combination poorhouse in 1883 close to Lochmaddy, to serve the parishes of Barra, Harris and the Uists. In 1907 it was converted for use as an asylum for "harmless lunatics".... 106184
Burial Ground, Siabaidh This burial ground, located on the south coast of Berneray, was first used in 1954. 107086
HMS Pembroke Several Royal Navy ships have been named HMS Pembroke since 1655. However, during much of the 20th century, it was the name given to the shore barracks at Chatham. The construction of the permanent shore base at Chatham... 111852
St Columba's Gaelic Church of Scotland, Glasgow The congregation of St Columba dates back to 1770, although the building in Vincent Street was opened in 1904. It is also known as the Highland Cathedral. 113452
Sabhal Mòr Ostaig Sabhal Mòr Ostaig is a public higher education college, situated in the Sleat peninsula, in the south of the Isle of Skye.  Uniquely, its only medium of instruction is Scottish Gaelic.   114007
Stornoway Parish School The Stornoway Parish School, originally known as the Parochial School or the Established Church School, was connected to St Columba's Parish Church. It came into existence in the early 18th century and was a school for... 115063
Lionel School, Lionel 116873
McGill University, Montreal 117355
Royal High School, Edinburgh It is generally accepted that the Royal High School is one of the oldest in Europe, possibly founded in 1128 when King David I founded the Abbey of Holyrood with which the school was first associated. The School is... 119065
Fodderty Cemetery, Strathpeffer Fodderty Cemetery is situated in the hamlet of Fodderty, near Strathpeffer. 119069
Free North Church, Inverness The Free North Church is a member of the Free Church of Scotland. It is a Gothic church designed by Alexander Ross and completed in 1893, and is situated on the banks of the River Ness at 27 Bank Street, Inverness IV1... 119097
La Clytte Military Cemetery, Belgium La Clytte Military Cemetery is located in the West-Vlaanderen region of Belgium. 119106
St Ringan's Church, Lerwick St Ringan’s was a United Presbyterian Church upon its opening in 1886, situated in Lower Hillhead, Lerwick. With the union of 1900  between the  United  Free Church and  United  Presbyterian Churches, St Ringan’s became... 119121
Partick Free Church Partick Free Church is located at 29 Crow Road, Partick, Glasgow. It was designed by the architectural practice of A. Petrie and Sons, and was built in 1910 to a plain rectangular plan with a simple gable facade... 119193
St Columba's Church of Scotland, Copland Road St Columba's was located at 1 Copland Road, Govan. The church was demolished on 4th September 2000.  119212
Hawkhead Cemetery, Paisley Hawkhead Cemetery is a large Victorian cemetery located on Hawkhead  Road in southeast Paisley, south of Glasgow. The site includes graves of casualties from World War One and World War Two which are maintained by the... 119229
Balmacara House School Balmacara House School, an agricultural and horticultural college for boys aged 16-18, opened in the early 1950s and operated in that way until the early 1970s. The School comprised the main building, an annex that was... 119233
Echo Vale Cemetery Echo Vale Cemetery (known in French as Cimetière Echo Vale) is located in Marbsboro, Quebec. As noted on many tombstones, this cemetery contains the graves of settlers from Scotland who emigrated to Canada in the... 119566
Knockiandue School Knockiandue School, which served the villages of Keose and Laxay, was formally opened by the School Board of the Parish of Lochs on 30 October 1878, and this heralded the closure of the Parish School. The school became... Yes 119583
Killearn Hospital Killearn Hospital was commissioned in 1938 as one of seven Emergency Hospital Service facilities in the United Kingdom, for Second World War casualties. Building was commenced in 1939 and completed by 1940. Its location... 121053

Pages