You are here

77 North Tolsta

77 North Tolsta

77 North Tolsta was a new croft in 1880; it was first tenanted by Angus Macleod and family. The original house was formerly Sgoil na Leddies and is sometimes referred to as the Old School House.

The croft passed to Angus's son Rev John Macleod. Upon John's death the croft passed to his housekeeper Christina Morrison.

The croft then passed to Christina's brother Donald Morrison.

Donald Morrison married Isabella Maciver, but they had no children. Following Donald's death in 1961, 77 North Tolsta passed to his wife's nephew Angus Allan Morrison who sold it to Murdo Murray. At this point there was no longer a crofthouse on the croft.

Murdo Murray died in 1987 and Croft 77 North Tolsta passed to his son Alexander Dan Murray.

By the time of his father's death Alexander Dan Murray was widowed, with a daughter, and living at 18 Seaforth Road, Stornoway. The family did not return to 77 North Tolsta to settle. 77 North Tolsta passed to his daughter.

Alexander Dan Murray's daughter sold the main part of the croft to Alexander Murdo Campbell, who owned the neighbouring Former Nurses' Cottage. There was also an apportionment at the entrance to the village for which she was granted planning permission for a caravan site, Murrayfield Caravan Park, in 2006.

 

 

Title: 77 North Tolsta
Record Type: Crofts and Residences
Gaelic Name: Pàirc Dhoilsidh
Type: Croft
Date Lotted: 1880
Record Maintained By: CET
Subject Id: 103951