You are here

Crofts and Residences

Crofts and Residences

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
17 Gravir The first tenant of this croft was Donald Macaskill (1798) who came from Eishken.    Yes 589
9 Gravir The first tenant of this croft was Donald Macritchie (1781) and was passed down the family until they were evicted and moved to Marybank, Stornoway. Donald Macaskill, 26 Gravir took over the tenance and was eventually... Yes 590
Hollyburn, Crulivig Hollyburn was once the teacher's house for Crulivig school. Yes 63075
1 Borve, Berneray 1 Borve was created in 1900, when the Congested Districts Board for Scotland persuaded the South Harris Estate to break up Borve Farm and re-allocate the land as crofts.  Croft 1 was allotted to Finlay MacKinnon, who... Yes 64395
2 Borve, Berneray 2 Borve was created in 1900, when the Congested Districts Board for Scotland persuaded the South Harris Estate to break up Borve Farm and re-allocate the land as crofts.  Croft 2 was allotted to Lachlan MacKillop. It... Yes 64416
6 Garyvard The first tenant of this croft was Torquil Macleod who was thought to have come from Kintarvie. The croft was passed to his son Kenneth. Yes 6520
13 Ruisgarry (Sunhill) The croft at 13 Ruisgarry was created in the 1850 relotting of Ruisgarry by the Harris Estate. The area it lies within is known as Sunhill (Gaelic: Cnoc na Grèine). It has been suggested that the name goes back to the... Yes 67368
17 Ruisgarry (Brusda) The croft at 17 Ruisgarry was created in the 1850 relotting of Ruisgarry by the Harris Estate. It is one of five crofts in an area known as Brùsda.  The first tenants of the new croft were Angus Morrison and his wife... Yes 67372
18 Ruisgarry (Brusda) The croft at 18 Ruisgarry was created in the 1850 relotting of Ruisgarry by the Harris Estate. It is one of five crofts in an area known as Brùsda.  The first tenant of the new croft was Evander Shaw. He emigrated in... Yes 67373
18 Borve, Berneray 18 Borve was created in 1900, when the Congested Districts Board for Scotland persuaded the South Harris Estate to break up Borve Farm and re-allocate the land as crofts.  Croft 18 was allotted to Peter Munro, and it... Yes 67396
19 Borve, Berneray 19 Borve was created in 1900, when the Congested Districts Board for Scotland persuaded the South Harris Estate to break up Borve Farm and re-allocate the land as crofts.  Croft 19 was allotted to Norman MacCuish.... Yes 67397
20/21 Borve, Berneray 20/21 Borve was created in 1900, when the Congested Districts Board for Scotland persuaded the South Harris Estate to break up Borve Farm and re-allocate the land as crofts.  20/21 Borve was allotted to merchant Angus... Yes 67398
Tigh a Chladdaich, Kirkibost According to local tradition, this was the first house built on 10 Kirkibost. Neil Maclennan had a shop here (sometimes known as "Shed a Chladdaich"). Neil's widow sold the house to Annette Macaulay and her husband... Yes 6966
'House 4' Rubha Mor This building was the schoolmaster's home from 1850 until 1881, lived in by Donald MacKay, followed by Donald John MacLean. Part of the building was used as the SSPCK School. Later it was used as the island post office... Yes 73985
Geo Dhubh, Rubha Mor This was the home of fisherman Donald MacKinnon and his wife Ann during the 1870s, and living with them was Ann's nephew Angus Paterson who inherited the property, living there with his wife and family. He kept a shop,... Yes 74221
'House 3' Quay Cottar William Robertson lived here from about 1867 with his wife and son Roderick, who was passed the house following his parents' deaths. He passed it onto yachtsman Donald Morrison who lived here with his family from... Yes 74245
'House 4' Quay Fisherman Neil MacKillop moved from his mother's home at 'house 5' Quay sometime in the late 1860s, living here with his wife and young family. They stayed until 1900 when Neil obtained the croft at 11 Borve. The house... Yes 74246
'House 5' Quay Widow Ann MacKillop (née Ferguson) moved here with her family in 1854, following the death of her husband. Ann died of supposed consumption in 1863 and the house passed down through the family to son Roderick, a... Yes 74247
'House 6' Quay This was the home of fisherman Donald MacLeod, who had previously lived with his parents at 'house 7'. It later passed to his son-in-law Neil MacAskill, also a fisherman.  Yes 74248
East Quay, 'house 8' This was the home of fisherman Donald MacLeod, who had previously lived with his parents at 'house 7', following his marriage in 1877. Donald was involved in the struggle for land rights, and was later imprisoned for... Yes 74251
'House 9' Quay This cottars' house was the home of fisherman Angus MacDonald and his second wife Catherine Paterson from about 1880. Angus was drowned during a storm in 1906, and his widow continued to live here with their children,... Yes 74252
'House 11' Quay Fisherman James MacLeod moved from his parents' home at 'house 7' to live here with his wife Margaret MacDonald, who he married in 1879. Following his death in 1926, the house passed to son Duncan, whose siblings... Yes 74254
'House 16' Quay This was the home of yachtsman and fisherman John MacLean who lived here with his wife Marion following their marriage in 1904. Following Marion's death it passed to their son Alexander who lived here with his wife Jane... Yes 74260
16 Backhill This was the home of Alexander MacLean and his family, whose shop Bùth Ailig also housed the Post Office. Yes 74307
4 Caverstay Croft 4 was first occupied by Donald Mackinnon and then by his son Roderick. The croft was particularly congested in the early years of the 20th century, supporting four large families of Mackinnons. The situation... Yes 7560
2 Keose The first known tenant of 2 Keose was Kenneth Mackenzie (Coinneach Mor) who married Ann Macleod from Keose. The family moved from Steimreway to Keose in the 1810s. Kenneth's son John (1816-1892) took over the tenancy,... Yes 7586
30 Backhill This house, built during the early 1850s, was the home of fisherman Norman MacLeod and his family. Following his death in 1904, it passed to daughter Christina and her husband Donald Campbell, also a fisherman.... Yes 76650
2 Gravir The croft 2 Gravir was taken over by Donald Macmillan ("Boy"), tenant of number 3 Gravir, after Hector Campbell. Yes 767
14 Keose The first known tenant of 14 Keose was Malcolm Macleod (1780-1866) from Pairc who was married to Ann Ferguson, 22 Laxay. Malcolm and his wife Ann moved to Luerbost in 1852 to live with their son Fergus. Malcolm's son... Yes 7674
The Willows, Backhill The Willows was the home of farm labourer Angus MacCuish, and later of his niece Christina Margaret Paterson, who was registrar for the island. From Christina it passed to her brother Roderick, who lived there with his... Yes 76996

Pages