You are here

Crofts and Residences

Crofts and Residences

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
2 Croir John Maciver "Iain Thormoid Bhig" was allocated No 2 Croir in 1921. Prior to 1880 this area of Croir was occupied by John Smith then Kenneth Martin. Yes 4455
13 Breaclete No 13 Breaclete is situated beside Loch Mor Bhreacleit. The first tenant was Angus Macdonald from Geshader who married Ann Macleod from Roulinish. Ann worked for An Domhnallach and it is thought he laid out the croft... 4481
4 Laxay The first tenant of 4 Laxay was John Morrison (1800-1840) who was married to Ann Macdonald from Lemreway. It is not known where John came from. The next tenant was Angus Morrison (1809-1891) who was said to have been "... 11387
25 Kirkibost No.25 Kirkibost is situated between the moor road, Loch Ballaglom and Nos. 24 and 26. The first tenant after resettlement in 1878 was Donald Macdonald, "Domhnall Dubh". The tenency has remained in the same family since... Yes 1413
11 Hacklete Before Hacklete was populated in 1880, it was a tack and the tackhouse was located on what is today 11 Hacklete. After 1880 the first tenant on this croft was Aulay Macaulay, "Amhlaidh Sheorais". The tenancy has... Yes 4420
9 Ardroil 9 Ardroil is in the area of the old village of Pennydonald and, according to local tradition, Baile a' Ghriasaich was a vernacular name for that area of Pennydonald. 3002
6 Kirkibost No.6 Kirkibost is situated between Nos. 5 and 6, the moor and the sea. The first tenant after resettlement was John Gillies. The croft is a free gift tenancy. Yes 1391
2 Ardroil The house at 2 Ardroil was built by the farmer at Ardroil Farm, Alexander Macrae, for the farm manager, Alexander Finlayson, and his family. The builder was Neil Mackay, 7 Crowlista. It had three rooms and the end room... 2995
1 Ardroil 1 Ardroil is in the area of the old village of Cappadale. Yes 2994
3 Geshader Yes 2552
11 Breaclete Angus Macleod "Aonghas Greusaich" was the first recorded tenant on No 11 Breaclete. The croft is situated in an area of Breaclete known as Roulanais, at the opening of Loch Beag Bhreacleit. The tenancy was sold out of... 4479
8 Keose The first known tenant of 8 Keose was Donald Macleod (1775-1856) who came from Garyvard. This family of Macleods were known as "na Torcuillich" and may have previously lived in Kintarvie before moving to Keose. 7664
19 Leurbost 15854
15 Laxay The first known tenant of 15 Laxay was Donald Morrison who was married to Isabella Smith, 14 Laxay. It is not known where Donald came from. When he died, aged 24 years, his wife Isabella married Donald Mackenzie, 6... 12485
Balallan Schoolhouse, Balallan The first tenant of the schoolhouse was Alexander Robb (1827-) who taught in Balallan from the time the school opened in May 1879 to November 1881. The last family moved out in 1979 and the building was for a time used... 21589
2 Valtos The 1841 census gives two households of this family, John Mackay 35 (Iain Iain Ruaidh) and his wife Ellen 30, Madge 5, Donald 1, Calum 3 and Catherine Mackay 18. Next door lived John Mackay 65, his wife Henny, Ann 25... 3162
1 Valtos First Croft Tenant on Record In the 1841 census, the household consisted of Donald Smith age 40, his wife Chirsty age 30, Alexander 8, Calum 5, and John under one year. Donald Smith was the son of Malcolm and Mary Smith... 3161
4 Kirkibost No.4 Kirkibost is situated between Nos.3 and 5, East Loch Roag and the moor. Murdo Morrison from Croir was the first tenant and his descendants still live there. In order to be nearer his lobster pond, Murdo swapped... 1389
20 Doune Carloway The first tenant of this croft was John Macdonald, 8 Doune Carloway. The croft was passed to son Donald (b1962) and thereafter to Donald's son John. John's widow Mary married Malcolm Macleod, 6 Kirvick and their... 11123
14 Hacklete When Hacklete was lotted in 1880 Donald Maciver "Domhnall Ban" moved from Croir to settle at no 14. His daughter Ann inherited the tenancy and, when her family moved to Glasgow in the 1930s, it was sold to Norman... 4437
18 Tobson The first known tenant on No 18 Tobson was Malcolm Macdonald (Calum a Chabar). The tenancy of the croft remained in the family but the house has been sold. Crofthouse is named "Thule House" 3747
11 Doune Carloway The first tenant of this croft was Malcolm Smith who came from Toranish, Bernera. His son John (1775-1863) inherited the croft and after Doune was cleared in 1853, John and his family moved to 11 Breaclete, Bernera.... 68287
5 Upper Carloway Malcolm Macleod (1781-1853) originally from Ardasaig, Harris and who was a tenant at 4 Old Doune, moved to this croft in c1830.  The croft remained in the Macleod family until the 1990s when it was sold after Jean... 37590
32 Balallan Norman Macmillan (1801-1886) and his family were evicted from Eishken, Stiemreway and Cleitir before coming to Balallan in c1836. His son Alexander (1840-1922) inherited the croft. 15778
47 Balallan Murdo Nicolson (1793-1861) from Eishken settled on this croft with his family. His son John (1830-1881) became tenant of the croft from 1880-1881, followed by John's son Angus (1856-1941). 11067
'House 74' Ferry The house was built in about 1854 when Taskill MacAskill and his family were cleared from their previous home in order to make way for Borve Farm. It was later passed down to his two sons, Dòmhnall Mòr and Dòmhnall Beag... 76902
10 Laxay The first known tenant of 10 Laxay was Roderick Mackenzie (1775-1855) who came from Poolewe. His son Donald (1818-1895) inherited the croft which was then passed to his own son Donald who had been living on Plantation... 13454
9 Laxay The first tenant of 9 Laxay was Kenneth Maciver (1794-1878) from Loch Roag, Uig. 9170
65 Balallan This croft was originally croft 60 Balallan but was renumbered when new crofts were added to the west end of the village. Malcolm Smith (1785-) was the only member of his family not to emigrate to America. He had been... 17559
17 Southside Gravir Allan, son of Donald Macaskill, 17 Gravir was a tenant on this smallholding, followed by his son Kenneth (1868). 16181

Pages