You are here

BALALLAN, LEWIS - TOWNSHIP (Crofting - 1850 AD to 1950 AD)

BALALLAN, LEWIS - TOWNSHIP (Crofting - 1850 AD to 1950 AD)

Summary:

TOWNSHIP (Crofting - 1850 AD to 1950 AD)
Centred on NB 290 205

Location:

NB 290 205

Full description:

NB22SE 5 centred on 290 205

A township comprising eighty-six roofed buildings, eight partially roofed buildings, three of which are annotated as ruins, twenty-nine unroofed buildings, twenty-one of which are annotated as Ruins, and what may be two phases of head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1854, sheet 37). The land within the head-dyke has been divided into plots by five or six N-S walls which may be the beginning of the lay-out of crofts.
This site is located within the modern crofting township of Balallan as shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 9 July 1997

Acknowledgement:

Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.

 

Title: BALALLAN, LEWIS - TOWNSHIP (Crofting - 1850 AD to 1950 AD)
Record Type: Historical/ Archaeological Sites
Type: Township
Period: Crofting (1850-1950 AD)
SMR Record ID: MWE133754
Grid Ref Northing: 920500
Grid Ref Easting: 129000
Record Maintained By: CECL
Subject Id: 31404