You are here

GRAVIR, LEWIS - TOWN (Undated), MILL (Undated)

GRAVIR, LEWIS - TOWN (Undated), MILL (Undated)

Summary:

TOWN (Undated)
MILL (Undated)
Centred on NB 388 153

Location:

NB 388 153

Full description:

NB31NE 11 centred on 388 153

A township, a crofting township and two roofed Corn Mills are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1854, sheet 38). The township comprises twenty-eight roofed, one partially roofed and six unroofed buildings. There are two blocks of crofts or plots to the E and the W of the burn named Gil Mhor. That to the E comprises eight roofed buildings and one unroofed building, and that to the W comprises eighteen roofed and two unroofed buildings.
Forty-one roofed, two partially roofed, thirty-six unroofed buildings and the fragmentary remains of the head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 9 July 1997

Acknowledgement:

Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.

Title: GRAVIR, LEWIS - TOWN (Undated), MILL (Undated)
Record Type: Historical/ Archaeological Sites
Type: Mill
SMR Record ID: MWE134045
Grid Ref Northing: 915300
Grid Ref Easting: 138800
Record Maintained By: CEP
Subject Id: 31808