You are here

AIRIGH DHOMHNUILL CHAIM, LEWIS - FARMSTEAD (Undated)

AIRIGH DHOMHNUILL CHAIM, LEWIS - FARMSTEAD (Undated)

Summary:

FARMSTEAD (Undated)
Farmstead and head-dyke

Location:

NB 242 147

Full description:

NB21SW 28 242 147

A farmstead comprising one unroofed building, which is annotated as Ruins, an enclosure and a field is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1854, sheet 36), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 10 July 1997

One unroofed building, marked as a ruin, an enclosure and a head-dyke forming a farmstead, shown on 1st edition OS.

At the time of the first Earl of Seaforth (1623), the whole of what is now know as Park was a deer forest and the tenants or crofters of Uig used to graze their cattle in summer and had their shielings there. It has been said that there were crofters here but Donald Cam resided in Uig and merely had a shieling in Park.

Acknowledgement:

Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.

The name of this farmstead means 'Donald Cam's Sheiling', referring to the famous (or infamous) Macaulay who dominated Uig in the early17th century. See also records pertaining to Donald Cam himself.

 

Title: AIRIGH DHOMHNUILL CHAIM, LEWIS - FARMSTEAD (Undated)
Record Type: Historical/ Archaeological Sites
Type: Farmstead
SMR Record ID: MWE134143
Grid Ref Northing: 914700
Grid Ref Easting: 124200
Record Maintained By: CEP
Subject Id: 31849