You are here

ECC 24 Crobeag, Toa

ECC 24 Crobeag, Toa


HARBOUR (Lower Palaeolithic to Modern - 500000 BC to 2050 AD)
JETTY (Undated)
SLIPWAY (Undated)
WRECK (Crofting to Modern - 1850 AD to 2050 AD)
Harbour including jetties, slipways and sunken boat


NB 39062 20969

Full description:

"Situated between the Toa promontory and Crobeag, on the north side of the promontory neck, this accentuated natural harbour measures 50 x 30 metres and is orientated from the shore in the south to its mouth in the north. Within its extent two slipways have been cleared through the rocky foreshore at its southern end to allow wooden boats to be drawn safely ashore. On its west and east sides stone jetties or docks have been constructed in a rough fashion from large boulders to allow access to boats even at high tide. The western feature measures 15 metres from south to north and the eastern feature measures 11 metres from south to north. The remains of a single wooden hulk can be seen rotting in the bottom of the harbour. This hulk, measuring ca 12 metres in length is located against the eastern dockside at its southern (shoreward) end. The presence of iron engine parts amongst the wreckage suggests that it dates to the last 150 years or so. The date of the harbour itself is more difficult to gauge. Undoubtedly the feature has seen heavy use during the crofting period when it was a point of departure for the dead leaving Crobeag to be buried at the Chapel of St Columba (15.3). However, it might be reasonable to expect a natural harbour as sheltered as this, providing easy access to Loch Erisort and the Minch, and calm deep water anchorages at the same time, might have a history of usage that goes back to the prehistoric. What seems likely is that, given the proximity of the possible Norse promontory enclosure on Toa immediately to the west, this harbour may have seen usage during the Norse period of activity on the island." (Burgess 2004, 98-99)


Chris Burgess, Northamptonshire Archaeology. 2004. Northamptonshire Archaeology Archaeological Survey and Evaluation of Eilean Chalium Chille and the Putative Site of the Seaforth Head Castle. Part No Loch Seaforth Head Gazeteer.


Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.


Title: ECC 24 Crobeag, Toa
Record Type: Historical/ Archaeological Sites
Type: Harbour
Period: Crofting (1850-1950 AD)
SMR Record ID: MWE144736
Grid Ref Northing: 920969
Grid Ref Easting: 139062
Record Maintained By: CEP
Subject Id: 31948