You are here

ECC 69.1 Cromore (24), Rubha nam Fad - HOUSE (Crofting - 1850 AD to 1950 AD)

ECC 69.1 Cromore (24), Rubha nam Fad - HOUSE (Crofting - 1850 AD to 1950 AD)


HOUSE (Crofting - 1850 AD to 1950 AD)
Department of Fisheries cottage


NB 40058 21723

Full description:

"Situated on the high ground to the north-east of the township of Cromore the remains of this house measure 11 x 5 metres and are orientated form south-west to north-east. Constructed of stone and mortar, with two gable ends both with chimney breasts, this cottage follows a design known to have originated in the Department of Fisheries in the period immediately after the end of World War 1 (1918-1920). This house has a single entrance at the centre of its south-east facing wall. This entrance is flanked by two equally sized windows. A third smaller window is located at the centre of the north-west facing wall. The roof of this house has been lost, however, it was probably originally covered with slates, corregated iron sheets or asbestos tiles. The roof space would have been utilised as one or two rooms, with two fireplaces and lit by two or more skylights. The Department of Fisheries design was largely superseded by the so-called 'Fish and Ag' house (Department of Fisheries and Agriculture) in the mid to late 1920s. Though similar in plan this later design was a full one and a half stories high and had twin dormers rather than skylights. This building has later extension constructed against its north-eastern gable. Constructed in the same general manner this later building measures 5 x 5 metres, has a gable and chimney at its north-eastern end and a single door and window in its south-eastern face. A second window is located in the north-western wall and a door has been forced through the north-eastern gable of the original house (at its south-eastern end) to provide access from the main building into the extension. The roof of this extension survives and is covered with synthetic tiles with a single skylight lighting the roof space. A large concrete apron has been constructed on the house's south-eastern side. The remains of blackhouse (33.7) lie immediately to the north-east of this building." (Burgess 2004, 112-113)


Chris Burgess, Northamptonshire Archaeology. 2004. Northamptonshire Archaeology Archaeological Survey and Evaluation of Eilean Chalium Chille and the Putative Site of the Seaforth Head Castle. Part No Loch Seaforth Head Gazeteer.


Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.


Title: ECC 69.1 Cromore (24), Rubha nam Fad - HOUSE (Crofting - 1850 AD to 1950 AD)
Record Type: Historical/ Archaeological Sites
Type: House
Period: Crofting (1850-1950 AD)
SMR Record ID: MWE144772
Grid Ref Northing: 921723
Grid Ref Easting: 140058
Record Maintained By: CEP
Subject Id: 31982