You are here

Church of Scotland, Keose

Church of Scotland, Keose

Kinloch Church History, from 1724

Little remains of the ruins of what is believed to be the first place of worship in the Parish of Lochs following its creation or re-creation in 1722. The few remaining stones at Swordale by the shore of Loch Leurbost are the only evidence left of the foundation of the plentiful provision of places of worship which now exist.

In 1833, when Rev Robert Finlayson wrote the second Statistical Account of the Parish of Lochs, he mentions that the church is situated on a small peninsula on the farm of Keose. The new church building at Eilean Thabhaidh, Keose must have been built shortly before 1833 as he writes "The Parish Church is a new building, sufficient to accommodate 700 sitters".

"It belongs to the Established Church of Scotland and is built of Stone, slated, and in good repair...on Eilean Thabhaigh at the northern side of Loch Erisort 8 chain west of Aird Fhaslasgair."

Ordnance Survey, February 1850

The property was sold to the Rev Angus Macmillan, Lemreway, minister at that time in Edinburgh and he converted it into a holiday home.

Title: Church of Scotland, Keose
Record Type: Historical/ Archaeological Sites
Type: Church
Grid Ref Northing: 921519
Grid Ref Easting: 135860
Record Maintained By: CECL
Subject Id: 7264