You are here

Torostay, Lewis

Torostay, Lewis

The hamlet of Torostay is an extension of Caverstay, although it is a couple of miles away. The croft numbers begin at Caverstay where the first 4 crofts are and crofts 5 and 6 are at Torostay. At one time all that land was part of Crobeg farm and the original inhabitants were mostly people who worked at Crobeg farm.

The first census was taken in 1841 and in residence are Donald Macdonald, miller; wife Marion, and their five children: Anne, Mary, Murdo, Henrietta and Angus.

There were two meal mills on the stream at Torostay and tradition maintains that the miller was called Murchadh Dhomhuill Bhan Macdonald; this is most likely the Murdo above, following his father's trade. The Macdonald family continued at Torostay until at least 1891 and there were also Macleods and Mackinnons living there.

The remains of a chambered cairn and evidence of pre-crofting cultivation can also be seen near Torostay.

 

 

Title: Torostay, Lewis
Record Type: Locations
Gaelic Name: Torostaigh
Type: Village/Township
Grid Ref Easting: 138789
Grid Ref Northing: 919932
Record Maintained By: CEP
Subject Id: 372