You are here

Bernera Islands Estate

Bernera Islands Estate

Bernera Islands Estate
At one time Bernera and its surrounding islands was part of the Scaliscro Estate but was sold as a separate unit in 1925 after the death of Leverhulme. It was initially to be sold, together with Scaliscro and Morsgail, as one large estate, but failed to find a buyer. The islands were then formed into a separate estate and the ownership transferred to a specially formed management company known as Bernera Crofters Ltd. In what was known as the "Leverhulme disposal sale", Bernera Crofters Ltd was sold at auction to two Lewis men Rev Murdo Smith Maclean and his brother A J Maclean for the princely sum of 250 pounds. It was run as a crofting estate and remained in their possession until 1962 when it was sold to Count Robin de la Lanne Mirrlees from London, who later made his home at Kirkibost.

 

Title: Bernera Islands Estate
Record Type: Locations
Type: Estate
Record Maintained By: CEBL
Subject Id: 41119