You are here

Locations

Locations

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Luskentyre, Harris Luskentyre is a small settlement on the west coast of Harris, famous for its scenic beach. Satellite Image Yes 28792
Caverstay, Lewis The village of Caverstay is located on the south side of Loch Erisort, just across Tob Caverstay from the somewhat larger village of Garyvard. It consisted of just four crofts, though the neighbouring hamlet of Torostay... Yes 2970
Carnish, Lewis According to D Maciver in his Place-names of Lewis and Harris, the name Carnish is from the Norse kvern-nes, meaning 'promontory of the querns' (ie hand mills). There is evidence of prehistoric habitation on the... Yes 3217
Arivruach, Lewis Arivruach is a crofting township which lies at the junction of Tob Cheann Tarabhaigh and three miles west of Loch Seaforth. The name of Arivruach is said to have originated from a croft which is now part of 4 Seaforth... Yes 3227
Mangersta, Lewis The original settlement of Mangersta (thought by some to derive from the Norse for 'Magnus's steading') was cleared, resettled and then cleared again prior to 1874. Crofts relating to that earlier period are labelled '... Yes 3265
Gravir, Lewis Gravir is the largest village in the Pairc area of South Lochs, once supporting a population of 468 (in 1911) although in 2005 the population was only 76. Gravir (Grabhair): Norse for "pits, graves" (according to James... Yes 357
Bearasay, Lewis Beirrasaigh is berg, a rock; ay, island. Bearasay is a small island north-east of Great Bernera, situated between Old Hill and Floday. In the early 1600s it was used by Neil Macleod and over twenty companions as a... Yes 36280
Isle of Floday, Lewis Floday is a low flat island, almost covered at high tide. It is situated north-west of Bernera and is a nesting site for eider ducks and other sea birds. Note: there are two islands named Floday within West Loch Roag.  Yes 36355
Cnoc an Ruagain A settlement on the hill above Grimersta bay, said to have been the home of the Cochull Glas. Yes 36417
Cnoc na mi-Chomhairle Cnoc na mi-Chomhairle on 9 Kirkibost is supposedly where Donald Macaulay "Domhnall Cam" killed John Roy Mackay/Macphail from Bragar. Yes 36458
Tierra del Fuego Tierra del Fuego is an archipelago at the southern tip of South America. In 1881, it was divided between Argentina and Chile. The archipelago consists of a main island and a group of smaller islands, separated from the... Yes 36638
Cuiriseal, Lewis Cuiriseal was a small settlement on the Kebboch Head coast between Gravir and Lemreway, where at least five families lived at one time. The tacksman of Cuiriseal in the mid 1700s was Donald Macneill, originally from... Yes 36847
Calbost, Lewis The village of Calbost in Pairc, Isle of Lewis, comprises 14 crofts. Local tradition maintains that some of the Calbost settlers, such as Norman Mackenzie, Tormod Buidhe (1780-1864), came to Calbost towards the end of... Yes 369
Cromore, Lewis The name of Cromore is thought to be derived from the Gaelic crò mòr meaning big pen or fold but the word Kró in Norse means corner or inlet. Cromore is situated on the peninsula between Loch Cromore and Loch Erisort.... Yes 373
Marvig, Lewis Marvig is a village of 24 crofts on Loch Marvig, just south of the mouth of Loch Erisort. Marvig, similar to the other villages in Pairc was evidently at one time wooded, as the roots of trees are to be found in nearly... Yes 375
Orinsay, Lewis The name Orinsay derives from the Norse for 'ebb-flow island'. When it was first settled is unknown, but the situation is sheltered, with both arable land and good fishing to hand. In 1810, a Mary Maciver (to whom the... Yes 377
Habost, Pairc, Lewis Habost is said to be one of the oldest settlements in Park. The name is Scandinavian, the suffix "Bost" meaning a homestead or farm in Norwegian. Under the Highland clan system Habost was a tack and the various tacksmen... Yes 378
Garyvard, Lewis "A small village of straw thatched huts, built partly of stone and in pretty good repair, to which there is attached a considerable portion of arable land, but the inhabitants derive their chief support from fishing,... Yes 379
Garenin, Lewis The name Garenin, in Gaelic Geàrrannan, is probably a plural of the Gaelic word geàrraidh, meaning "enclosure". The present day village dates from about the 17th century, but there is archaeological evidence that the... Yes 38579
Reithmir, Valtos Reithmir is situated at the top of Valtos, above the current village on hilly ground near the school. The road falls away through Gleann Dubh to the crossroads and the pier, and to the south the fields slope down... Yes 38894
St Kilda The small archipelago of St Kilda consists of five islands (Hirta, Boreray, Soay, Dun and Levenish) situated 40 miles west of the Hebrides. The sheer cliffs rise 1300 feet from the water and are the highest seacliffs in... Yes 39729
Old Hill, Lewis The Old Hill is a large rocky island to the north-west of Bernera. It was used as grazing for sheep until the 1970s but it was always a hazardous affair getting the animals off. There is only one landing site and the... Yes 40654
Borrowston, Lewis Borrowston is a crofting township, comprising about 15 crofts, on the west coast of Lewis, lying on the north shore of Loch Carloway and a half mile west of Carloway.  The name Borrowston (Borghastan) is from the old... Yes 41286
Lochboisdale, South Uist Lochboisdale is the ferry port linking South Uist with Barra and mainland Scotland. In 2015 a new harbour and marina was opened, connecting the small island of Gasaigh to Rubha Bhuailt. Yes 45880
Kinloch, Lewis The villages in Kinloch are: Airidhbhruaich, Balallan, Laxay, Keose, Seaforth-head, Shieldinish, and Keose Glebe which was set up in 1933. There are two local estates, Soval and Eishken. Placenames in Kinloch are... Yes 460
Isle of Barra Barra is one of the smaller main islands in the Outer Hebrides, with a population of around 1,200 people. It and the adjacent island of Vatersay are currently the southernmost inhabited islands in the chain. Yes 46898
Dalmore, Lewis The name Dalmore comes from the Old Norse "dal", meaning valley, along with the Gaelic "mòr", meaning large (there is a Dail Beag just along the coast). Dalmore is the smallest village within the district of Carloway.... Yes 47173
Knock Carloway, Lewis An Cnoc meaning 'The Hill' lies on both sides of the Carloway River. Close to the main bridge which spans the river is what is generally regarded as the "centre" of Carloway. Two churches (the Free Church and the Church... Yes 47174
Balallan, Lewis A straggling crofting township of around 80 crofts, which lies at the head of Loch Erisort on the road from Stornoway to Tarbert. According to D Maciver in Place-names of Lewis and Harris: Balallain: some say this name... Yes 4974
Keose Glebe A small settlement, lying on the north shore of Loch Erisort to the east of Keose. Please see the Boundary Dispute of 1872 and the Breakup of Keose Glebe. Keose Glebe families lived on the following crofts: Mackenzie: 1... Yes 5239

Pages