You are here

Locations

Locations

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Perthshire Perthshire is a historical county located in central Scotland. Perth was the county town. In 1975 the area was divided between the new Tayside and Central Regions, and there have been other changes since. 6488
Australia 874
Baile na Cille, Lewis Baile na Cille (also known as Balnacille or Balanacil), the Place of the Sanctuary, is a low promontory at the north end of Uig Sands. The area is believed to have been a centre for worship for many centuries; certainly... Yes 2770
Fort George, Inverness Following the 1746 defeat at Culloden of Bonnie Prince Charlie, George II created the ultimate defence against further Jacobite unrest, resulting in a mighty artillery fortification. It is the only ancient monument in... 13812
Balallan, Lewis A straggling crofting township of around 80 crofts, which lies at the head of Loch Erisort on the road from Stornoway to Tarbert. According to D Maciver, The Place Names of Lewis and Harris: Balallain: some say this... Yes 4974
Laxay, Lewis From the Norse, Laxar, a salmon; if ending with 'ay' it would mean 'salmon island' but if ending with 'a' it would mean 'salmon river'. A village lying on the north side of Loch Erisort. The name is thought to have been... Yes 664
Shieldenish, Lewis From Old Norse 'sild' herring and 'nis' point; the point is the prominent peninsula in Shieldinish which also incorporates a well-defined 'caraidh' (fish trap). Shieldinish is a small settlement which lies close to the... Yes 10177
Buanish, Lewis Buanish is a tiny settlement on Loch Shell, opposite Eishken. It seems to have once been part of the Valtos (Lochs) tack but in the 1820s was shown as a settlement of seven or eight households, with the following... 29320
Shell Head, Lewis Shell Head (Ceann Tigh Shealg) was a settlement in southern Pairc. Employees of Eishken Estate were provided with homes and crofts there.  There was also an inn at Loch Shell but it is not certain that it was situated... 29322
Kinloch, Lewis The villages in Kinloch are: Airidhbhruaich, Balallan, Laxay, Keose, Seaforth-head, Shieldinish, and Keose Glebe which was set up in 1933. There are two local estates, Soval and Eishken. Placenames in Kinloch are... Yes 460
Eishken, Lewis Eishken lies on the north shore of Loch Shell at the centre of the Eishken Estate. In 1766, the first known reference to a village at Eishken indicated as sublet to Donald Macneill, a sheep farmer from Ardminish, Argyll... 45003
Oban, Argyllshire 2796
Edinburgh The city of Edinburgh (population 450,000) has been the capital of Scotland since the 15th century. 1337
Leith, Midlothian 14962
Lundale, Lewis From "Placenames of Lewis and Harris" by D Maciver F.E.I.S: Liunndal : This is not hlunnr, roller for hauling boats, but the boat itself ; hlunndal, boat place. Lundale is situated on the mainland side of the Bernera... 802
Crulivig, Lewis From "Placenames of Lewis and Harris" by D Maciver F.E.I.S. Crulavik : There is an island out from the bay, vik, which ebbed long ago ; tidal water ; a jutting point, cro ; Cro-la-vik. The nook of the tidal bay.... 794
Parish of Crathie and Braemar, Aberdeenshire The parish of Crathie and Braemar is a large parish located in inland Aberdeenshire. As well as the settlements of Braemar and Crathie, it also includes Auchandryne and Castletown. On this website, records relating to... 8231
Ardroil, Lewis Ardroil (Eadar Dha Fhadhail - 'between two fords') lies on the southwestern side of Uig Sands between the Forsa River and the Red River. There were once several villages in the area: Cappadale, Penny Donald and Balnicol... Yes 1940
Erista, Lewis Erista was a village in Uig in the west of Lewis, between Uig Lodge and Baile na Cille manse, overlooking Uig Sands. It was cleared of its inhabitants in the 1850s. The population in 1841 was 41, in 9 households, and in... Yes 2762
Vacsay, Uig, Lewis Vacsay is a small island in Loch Roag a few hundred metres off Reef Beach (Tràigh na Beirigh). It was once inhabited but is now used only for grazing. Ruined buildings are shown in the bay on the south side of the... Yes 24897
Gisla, Lewis Prior to about 1850, Gisla was a township of 5 crofts; it subsequently became a small farm; the 1st tenant was Angus Maclean. There is a hydro-electric scheme on the loch above the village. Satellite image Yes 1748
Croy, Inverness-shire Croy is a small village situated between Inverness and Nairn. 64751
Edderton, Ross & Cromarty The village of Edderton is situated some 5 miles north of Tain on the road to Bonar Bridge. The traditional explanation of the Gaelic name is 'eadar-dun' meaning 'between forts'.  40752
Knock Carloway, Lewis An Cnoc meaning 'The Hill' lies on both sides of the Carloway River. Close to the main bridge which spans the river is what is generally regarded as the "centre" of Carloway. Two churches (the Free Church and the Church... Yes 47174
Aberdeenshire 1084
Aberdeen 1110
Cappadale, Lewis Cappadale, situated near Uig Sands, was one of the three villages cleared in the late 1830s to make way for the farm at Ardroil. The inhabitants mostly went to Swainbost, and thereafter emigrated to Canada in 1851.... Yes 2766
Balnicol, Lewis Balnicol (Baile Niceil), situated near Uig Sands, was one of the three villages cleared in the late 1830s to make way for the farm at Ardroil. The area is now occupied by crofts 10 and 11 Ardroil. Satellite image Yes 2767
Calgary, Alberta Calgary is nestled in the foothills of Canada's Rocky Mountains. It is a city of nearly one million people. The city was named in 1883 by Col. Macleod of Drynoch after Calgary on the island of Mull, home of his relation... 40589
Parish of Kiltearn, Ross & Cromarty The parish of Kiltearn, whose main settlement is Evanton, lies adjacent to the Cromarty Firth in the historical county of Ross & Cromarty. (Records for settlements in this area are linked to the county, Ross &... 13525

Pages