You are here
Alexander Macintyre (1915-1965) was the son of an Appin station master. In 1940 in Oban, just after signing up for service in the Second World War, Alexander married Effie Macdonald of 1 Brenish. After the war the family moved to several Highland and central Scotland locations. The couple had three sons, the youngest born after they moved to Bridge of Allan; in 1951 they relocated to Kirkcaldy, staying at 13 Townsend Place. Alexander's parents-in-law, Murdina Maclean and John Macdonald, lived with Alexander and Effie's family in Bridge of Allan and 13 Townsend Place, subsequent to their retirement in 1948 from their missionary work in Brenish. After being widowed in 1951, Murdina continued to live with Alexander and his family in Kirkcaldy, until Alexander and Effie's sons were older.
As a young man Alexander was a medal-winning player with the Oban Camanachd shinty club; his sporting achievements were noted in his Oban Times obituary.
Alexander served as a telephone linesman with the Royal Corps of Signals from 1940 during the Second World War; his army service number was 2355848. He initially served in the United Kingdom; subsequent to D-Day, Alexander served in northern Europe, including the Netherlands, France and Germany. He was discharged on 21st August 1946; his military conduct was noted as exemplary.
In civilian life, before and after the Second World War, Alexander worked as an engineer for the General Post Office.
Alexander died from a coronary thrombosis in 1965 in Kirkcaldy; his death was registered by one of his sons.