You are here
Agnes (1913-1983) was the middle daughter of John Macdonald of 10 Breaclet and Murdina Maclean, 1 Brenish. The family were living at 1 Brenish when she was born.
Agnes trained as a nurse in the Southern General Hospital, Glasgow and then as a district nurse at the Queen’s Nursing Institute Scotland, Castle Terrace, Edinburgh. Agnes was in the Clydebank Blitz. She went to the Island of Coll as a district nurse and was there when the Nevada 2 ran aground off Coll on 19.07.1942. She got bales of fabric off the Nevada 2 which were later useful in her home for making curtains and children's clothes.
Agnes left the Island of Coll and went to Appin, taking over as district nurse from her sister, Effie. In 1945, she married Duncan Black, who had the garage in Appin. According to oral tradition he may have taught her to drive. They had three daughters.
When she returned to district nursing she did some locum in Appin and in 1961 went to Kilchoan, Argyllshire. Her husband died in 1963 and she carried on working there until 1966, before obtaining a district nursing post in Dalmally. Agnes stayed there until her retirement in 1973, when she moved to Strathmiglo, Fife to stay with daughter, Margaret before obtaining her own flat. Later she moved to Shetland to look after her grandson, while his mother worked.
Agnes died in the Gilbert Bain Hospital, Lerwick aged 70 years having had her first heart attack aged 50 years. She was buried with her husband in Appin.