You are here
Alexander (1837-1916) was the son of Archibald Crawford and Catherine Macnair, and resided at the Parish Schoolhouse, Keose. Alexander became the first headmaster of Knockiandue School when it opened on 30 October 1878, after the Parish School closed; he remained there until 1892. He received an annual salary of £50 plus use of the schoolhouse. His opening remarks in the oldest log book of Knockiandue School states:
On the evening of Friday 2nd December 1892, fire broke out in the classroom and the Daily Register and Summary Register were burned, together with the log book and letter portfolio.
He retured to 16 South Beach Street, Stornoway in May 1889 after more than 25 years as a teacher in Keose. He was an elder and catechist in Stornoway from that time until his death.
Extract from the Highland News, 23rd December 1916
OBITUARY - ALEXANDER CRAWFORD
By the death of Mr Alexander Crawford, a familiar figure has been removed from the streets of Stornoway. Deceased, who attained the ripe old age of 79, came to Lewis from Argyll as Parish schoolmaster of Keose, where he did valuable work for a quarter of a century. Many years ago he removed from Keose to Stornoway and for the past 28 years was elder and catechist in the Parish Church. Of a quiet and unassuming disposition, he went about his work from day to day without parade, filling a useful place in the life of the community. In the homes and public institutions which he visited regularly, he is much missed and his death is mourned by a wide cirle of friends. Much sympathy is felt for his stepdaughters, Mrs Rose and Miss Murray, South Beach, with whom he resides.