You are here
On account of his great wisdom John was held in high esteem by the then Proprietrix of Kintail who lived in Brahan Castle.This lead to a feeling of Jealousy on the Proprietor's part, and the result was that he finally got Maclennan banished to Kirkibost in Bernera, Lewis allowing him Tolsta for Summer grazing, and giving Little Bernera and Croir to his three sons.
1. Murdo who succeeded his father and became tacksman of Little Bernera;
2. a son who left Croir, was thought to have been drowned but was later seen in Sweden; possibly the gaoler of Cornelius Con
3. another son - name unknown;
4. Barabell who married Farquhar Smith (her second husband);
5. a daughter who married a Nicolson, the tacksman at Carnish (see Nicolsons in Uig)
6. a daughter Mary who was married to John Campbell, Scalpay, Forester of Harris.
7. Isobel who married Colin Maclean - parents of John 'Iain Ruadh', tacksman of Balallan and Ranish