You are here
John Macleod (1896-1964) was a son of Donald and Gormelia Macleod, 2 Kershader.
In Lochs, in 1929, he married, Mary Nicolson, 15 Lemreway. John and Mary settled at 2 Kershader and they had five children.
He enrolled in the Royal Naval Reserve, S/Ns A8405, B6016, C5593, D5331 and E1389, on June 4, 1915. His records indicate that he was 5ft 7½ in tall with brown hair, grey eyes and a fresh complexion. John was immediately Mobilised and served in The Royal Navy, based at HMS Pembroke, from 1915-1919.
After the First World War John joined the Merchant Navy and travelled to the Mediterranean, New Orleans, North Atlantic, North America, Palermo and Bilbao on the SS Antiope, SS Cardiganshire and SS Glassford. He was Mobilised and served in the Royal Navy, based at HMS Pembroke. He was a fisherman on Buckie and Stornoway fishing boats from 1925-1930 and worked ashore 1931-1938
John was Mobilised on December 18, 1938 and served in the Royal Navy, based at HMS Drake and HMS Pyramus, in Boom Defence. He was granted Agricultural Leave in Kershade in 1942, 1943 and 1944.
He completed a total of 30 years in the Royal Naval Reserve. John was awarded the Royal Humane Society and Royal Benevolent Society Medal