You are here
'Domhnall na Luachrach' (born c1725), the son of Donald Macaulay, was born in Diriscol, Harris. In his deposition at the time of the Lewis-Harris boundary dispute he states that he lived in various parts of the Forest of Harris all his life, except for seven years at Manish - his name however suggests that his main residence was Luachair.
We do not know who his wife was but a statement by Dr Roderick Ross, Borve may be interpreted as meaning that his wife's mother was a child of the first marriage of Barbara Maclennan, daughter of John - tacksman of Kirkibost.
Donald had the following children:
- Malcolm - married a daughter of Domhnall mac Thormoid, ancestor of the Crowlista Macdonalds; with issue
- Angus - relocated to Bernera obtaining a tenancy in Croir in 1780
- Donald 'Domhnall Og Luachair' - two children; Mary and Donald.
- Marion - married Finlay Macdonald, Diriscol. According to tradition she was visited by Mac an t-Sronaich, who stole her shoulder-plaid
- A daughter who married John Morrison of Bragar