You are here
Rev Angus Finlayson
Rev Angus Finlayson
Angus Finlayson (1896-1973) was a son of John Finlayson and Catherine Macfarlane, 8 Marvig.
He joined the Cameron Highlanders at seventeen and served as a Corporal in France in the First World War. Angus was wounded at the Battle of La Bassee and transferred to the Royal Scots Fusiliers. He served in India from February 1916 to November 1918. Angus was a member of the Pipe Band and is mentioned in Loyal Lewis.
In 1927 he began his studies with the Free Church of Scotland. He studied at Skerry College, Glasgow University, and Free Church College, Edinburgh. Angus was licensed on the 23rd of April 1935 and ordained on the 28th of January 1936. His first posting was in Struan, Isle of Skye and he stayed there for two years. From 1938 to 1948 he was the minister at Scalpay Free Church.
In April 1948 he became the minister at the Free Church of Scotland, North Tolsta. The congregation had recently split from the Back Free Church and at that time did not have a church building. He lived at the Free Church Manse, North Tolsta.
At Inverness, in 1956, Angus married Isabella Morrison, of 1 New Road, Cross.
By 1957 the Tolsta Free Church building was opened, and free of debt.
He became good friends with North Tolsta Free Presbyterian minister, Fraser Macdonald; Fraser's obituary recalls their "joyous denominational ding-dongs in the correspondence columns of the Stornoway Gazette".
In 1964 he was appointed Moderator of the General Assembly of the Free Church of Scotland.
On the 31st of October 1972, after twenty five years in Tolsta, he retired and moved to Stornoway; the Stornoway Gazette's District News carried details of this on the 4th of November 1973. He continued preaching every Sunday until his death.
In 1975 the pamphlet "No More Sea: Sermons and Addresses of the Rev Angus Finlayson, North Tolsta, Isle of Lewis" was published. More information can be found at Apples of Gold.