You are here
John (1924-1998) was a son of Kenneth Macleod and Mary Smith, 8 Carishader. In 1933, he moved with his family to Breakish, Isle of Skye, where his father was a missionary. Later, John returned with his family to 8 Carishader, the family home.
After education at the Nicolson Institute, John studied at Stow College, Glasgow but was called up and commissioned in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers of the British Army. He served in North Africa and Iraq. After the war he completed his studies at Glasgow University and Jordanhill College of Education. He became headmaster of Bernera Junior Secondary School in 1960 and was there until 1968 when he was appointed Principal of Lews Castle College, a post he held until his retirement in 1985. He was also councillor for Uig.
John was married twice. His first wife was Cathy Mary Macmillan, Newmarket, with whom he had two children. She died in 1961. John later married Katie Mary Macdonald, 1 Islivig. They had no family.