You are here
Angus Paterson, born in about 1844, was the youngest son of John Paterson and Mary MacKillop of old Ruisgarry. His father obtained 1 Ruisgarry (Sandhill) in 1850. However, Angus's mother had died in 1848, and it seems that Angus and sister Janet stayed with their aunt Ann and her husband Donald MacKinnon, who were cottars on 2 Ruisgarry (Sandhill), and then at Quay.
About 1861 Angus emigrated to Canada, where he trained as a cabinet maker. He returned to Berneray after eight years, initially for a holiday, but stayed, having met his future wife. Angus was living with his aunt Ann, now at Rubha Mor, in 1871. The house was later passed to Angus.
In 1873 Angus married Catherine MacCuish, of Backhill, with whom he was to have ten children. In 1881 his older sister Marion was living with the household at Geo Dhubh.
Angus was a grocer and shopkeeper, selling items including tweed. He and his family moved from Geo Dhubh to 20/21 Borve, which was lotted to him in 1900. He continued as a merchant, as did his son Finlay, who was passed the property at Geo Dhubh. He was guardian to his granddaughter Kate Ann when she lived on Berneray for a year from Summer 1910.
Following Angus’ death, 20/21 Borve was passed to son Norman.
Sound recordings of his daughter Morag's recollections of his time in Canada can be accessed through her biography page on the Tobar an Dualchais website.