You are here
Donald (1840-1925) was the son of Roderick Maciver and Catherine Campbell of 25 Old South Tolsta.
In 1851, during croft relottings, the family obtained 16 North Tolsta.
In 1853 the family lost 16 North Tolsta and became cottars at 12 North Tolsta.
In 1857 the family obtained 59 North Tolsta, as a newly lotted croft, and settled there.
Donald married Margaret Morrison, of Tong, but it is not certain where the couple spent their early marriage and had their first child.
Donald invested sixpence and became a merchant, the second in Tolsta, and ran a cart to and from Stornoway selling groceries and taking cattle and sheep to the Stornoway butchers. Later he also worked in the fish curing industry. In due course he passed the business to his son-in-law: Donald Cameron.
In 1868 the family settled at 68 North Tolsta and had a further four children. In total the couple had five children: three girls and two boys. He was the first person in Tolsta to keep a beautiful garden and built the first stone and lime slated house in the village. In 1874 he drained Loch Osavat. In due course he passed 68 North Tolsta to his son-in-law: Donald Cameron.