From NB 1890 3360 to NB 1860 3570
NB 188 347
NB13SE 22.00 centred on 1880 3470
NB13SE 22.01 189 345 Township
NB13SE 22.02 1880 3470 Crofting Township
At least three phases of development can be seen from the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1854, sheet 17) and the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
The first phase is what appears to be a pre-improvement township.
This seems to have been replaced by an extensive crofting township, which in turn was completely abandoned by the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1854, sheet 18). Macdonald (1978) states that Kirkibost was cleared in 1823 in order to enlarge Linshader farm.
The crofting township was reoccupied by 1897 as it appears on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1987, sheet 18) with a number of roofed buildings.
D Macdonald 1978 (bibno 31296, p 161); Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 23 September 1997.
Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.
- Record Type:
- Historical or Archaeological Site
- Type Of Site:
- SMRRecord ID:
- Record Maintained by: