You are here
Inscriptions at Baile na Cille cemetery
Inscriptions at Baile na Cille cemetery
Baile na Cille Cemetery was in use for many centuries but incribed stones were a late introduction. The following inscriptions were transcribed c1973; since then some stones have fallen.
1. In memory of David Watson, minister of this parish, who departed this life 11th May 1856 aged 50 years.
2. C Mc I aged 4 mos, 30th Novr 1837.
3. Erected by the parishioners of Uig & Carloway, in memory of Dr McLean who died at Garynahine, 20th Sept 1891.
4. In loving memory of James McKenzie who died at Linshader 15th May 1892 aged 76 years. His mother Flora MacRae wife of John McKenzie, who died at Reef aged 80 years. His grandmother Julia McRae who died at Kinloch aged 81 years.
5. To the memory of the Revd Hugh Munroe who departed this life on the 1st day of May 1823 in the 76th year of his age & 16th year of his ministry in this parish. This stone is placed over his remains in commemoration of his many virtues by his affectionate daughters.
6. To the memory of Janet MacCaskill daughter of John MacCaskill tacksman of Ruedunan Isle of Sky wife of the Revd Hugh Munroe minister of this parish, who departed this life on the 8 of Feb 1794 in the 49th year of her age. This stone is placed over her remains in commemorations of her many virtues by her affectionate daughters.
7. In memory of Alexr McRae Scaliscro who died 28th Jan 1839 aged 54 years. Also Margt Johnstone his spouse who died 5 Septr 1868 aged 77 years.
8. In memory of Alexaderina MacRae departed this life on the eighth day of July 1859 aged 7 days.
9. Sacred to the memory of John McRae farmer Reeff who died 11th July 1862 aged 33 years.
10. In memory of Mary Barbara beloved daughter of James and Jane McRae who died 24th July 1880 aged 13 years. Also of our daughter Jessie H Gordon beloved wife of Revd D Kelso who died at the Manse, Roslin, 19th April 1881 aged 32 years whose remains lie in Cataraqui cemetery, Canada. Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord.
11. In loving memory of James MacRae who died at Miavaig, Uig, 1903 aged 75 years. Also his beloved wife Jean Mackay who died at Bernera Harris 1892. "Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy"
12. Sac...to the mem... Alexander El... the belov... James Macrae Ta....
13. Brenish. Erected in memory of John Morison died on the ? Jany 1890? aged (39?) years. He were a respectable young man he is greatly lamented regretted by his bereaved wife & mother (...) and who knew him. Resurgam.
14. Sacred to the memory of John Mitchell Mealista, died 19th Nov 1904 aged 100 years. And his wife Helen MacRae died 14th May 1906 aged 75 years. "Blessed are the dead who died in the Lord" Rev 14.13
15. M Mc I. In memory of Donald Macleod Crowlista died Nov 17th 1889 aged 60 years. Deeply regretted by his dear wife & children.
16 Crowlista. In beloved memory of Murdo MacIver the just FC elder who departed this life on the 23 November 1875. Deeply regretted by their dear children. His age was 73 years. Also his beloved wife Anna MacLennan who departed this life on 11 April 1871 died in hope of eternal resurection (sic) aged 66 years. Isa XXXIII 20, Psa XXXVII (37?), Tin IV 2.
17. In memory of Neil MacDonald merchant Eneclate died 20th April 1896 aged 36 years.
18. M Erected by Alexr Macaulay merchant, Stornoway, in loving remembrance of his father Malcolm Macaulay Islivig, died 9th April 1880, aged 78 years. Also his brother Murdo who died in Quebec 16th Sept 1887 aged 28 years. And his mother Catherine MacLeod died 11th June 1913, aged 93 years. "Blessed are the Dead who die in the Lord."
19. In loving memory of Donald Macaulay, JP, 1 Islivig, died 14th Oct 1933, aged 91. Also his wife Catherin Matheson died 26th Mar 1905 aged 54. And their children John, died 20th Jan 1907 aged 30. Ann, died 24th Jan 1907 aged 13. Erected by the family.
20. DML (I...?)
21. In loving memory of John MacDonald Crowlista born 20th March 1827 died 22nd Jany 1892. Of his wife Marion Martin born 24th Feby 1827 died 16th Apl 1921 in her son's manse at Ness, where she had lived for 27 years. And of their son Peter born 18th July 1867 died 5th Nov 1881. "I am the resurrection and the life" Macdonald
22. Erected by members of the E Division of the Glasgow police. In memory of their late comrade Constable Murdoch McDonald born at Crowlista 23rd January 1869 deid at Stornoway 26th November 1893. Deeply regretted.
23. Erected in memory of Angus McIver, Murdo, Lochganvich, who departed this life 23rd January 1878 aged 40 years. Served 14 years as civil assistant in the ordnance survey, won the respect of his superior officers and rested in hope of eternal life.
24. Nor McDonald died Sep 26th 18(...) aged 33 ys. Also John his brother born March 26 1827 died Jan 22nd 1892.
25. John McDonald died 18th Augt 1858 aged 58 years.
26. Sacred to the memory of Mary Smith wife of Kenneth Stuart tacksman Hacklate who departed this life on the 7th June 1851 aged 59 years. Lamented by a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. This is erected at the request of her second daughter Catherine. The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.
27. In memory of Catherine McLean widow of Donald McRitchie who died 7 Feby 1838 aged 35 years.
28. Ann McRitchie died 9th Ap 1852 aged 22.
29. Erected to the memory of Angus McAulay who departed this life at Cliff Uig on 17th Feb 1876 aged 49 years. He was a man of a noble charater (sic) and much esteemed & who commanded the respect of all with whom he came in contact. He is very deeply regretted by his sorrowing widow & family also by a wide circle of relations and friends. James Chap III (18?) verse.
30. Sacred to the memory of Dugald McAulay who died on the 17th April 1870 aged 47 years. Greatly respected & regretted by his dear wife brothers & sisters.
31. Sacred to the memory of ML McLean Junr Mang who died on the 13th Jany 1869 aged 25 years. Greatly lamented.
33. Erected to the memory of Alexander Matheson who departed this life in Glasgow 16 Feb 1870 aged 25, an industrious young man of a respectable character and muchly regretted and lamented by a great circles of friends and accqantaces (sic).
34. Erected by Murdo MciVer shoemaker in loving memory of his parents Malcolm McIver, blacksmith, who died at Doune Carloway 2nd Jan 1889 aged 69. Ann MacKenzie who died at New Valley Stornoway 27th Sept 1905 aged 82 years.