You are here

Old Homesteads in Cromore

Old Homesteads in Cromore

The last 'blackhouse' in Cromore that was lived in was at No 17 Cromore - Tigh Louis. This was a popular tigh ceilidh with a fire in the middle of the floor. It was the home of Louis Mackenzie and was occupied by Peggy Louis until she moved to Stornoway around 1951. This is now the site of Alex Dan Smith's house.

Among the first privately-built white houses in the village around 1910 were for:

Finlay Smith 15 Cromore

John Macleod 12 Cromore

Alasdair Kennedy Skim 16 Cromore

John Mackenzie 6 Cromore

John Macleod, Iain an Og 24 Cromore

Angus Macarthur 3 Cromore

The next houses built with Board of Agriculture grants schemes were at:

26 Cromore Murdo Macleod Tigh Dick - built 1926

11 Cromore Murdo Macleod Murchadh an Time - built 1927

The first of these was built by John Finlayson of Marvig, father of Allan Sheonaidh. He also finished the second one as the original builder failed to complete the job.

The old blackhouse ruin in the middle of the village at No 5 was the home of Murdo Mackenzie Murchadh Anne who was married to Peggy an 'ic Iain from Crossbost. The house was occupied until around 1939/40. This is also the site of Leis an Theambuill - Garden of the Temple believed to have been associated with the church on St Colm's Isle.

Title: Old Homesteads in Cromore
Record Type: Stories, Reports and Traditions
Type: Story
Record Maintained By: HC
Subject Id: 43759