You are here
HMS Titania was originally built as a merchant ship of 5250 tons (initially intended for the Austrians) and launched March 1915 by the Clyde Shipbuilding Company at Glasgow. She was commandeered by the Admiralty and commissioned in November 1915 as a submarine depot ship and based at Blyth, with a complement of 249 men and commanded by Max Horton.
In Oct 1919 HMS Titania was commissioned at Chatham as depot ship for the 4th S/M Flotilla, China. Recommissioned at Hong Kong 1921, 1924 and 1926. In 1930 commissioned at Chatham for the 6th Flotilla based at Weymouth/Portland. 1935 temporarily with the 3rd Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet. 1935 Flagship of the Flag Officer Commanding Submarines at the Silver Jubilee Review at Spithead. 1936 attached to 6th Flotilla, Portland. 1937 Coronation Review at Spithead as Flag Officer Submarines' Flagship. 1939 based at Blyth with the 6th Flotilla. 1940 refitted on the Tyne, subsequently transferred to Holy Loch for remainder of the war. 1945 transferred to Portsmouth as depot hulk for the 5th Flotilla. June 1948 broken up at Faslane.