You are here

Post Office, Gravir

Post Office, Gravir

The original sub post-office in Gravir was located close to the jetty at number 19 and was opened in December 1884. The sub-postmaster was Neil MacPhail (Niall Dhomhnaill 'an 'ic'Neill). His son Donald also worked in the Post Office until he was called up for War Service in 1916. His father organised a petition to try to keep him at home to maintain the service, but the petition failed. Donald never returned to Gravir having settled in Canada after the war ended.

The Post Office subsequently moved to No 3 Gravir where it was run for many years by Donald Macmillan (Domhnaill Rob or Domhnaill Beag) and later by his son, also Donald Macmillan.

The telephone exchange was originally in the old post office at 3 Gravir and was manually operated. It was automated in 1957 and is now housed opposite the sheltered housing, next to the Fire Station.

 

 

Title: Post Office, Gravir
Record Type: Buildings and Public Amenities
Type: Post Office
Date Built: 1884
Period of Construction: 1884
Record Maintained By: HC
Subject Id: 27837