You are here

AIRIGH CNOC NA H-AIBHNE, LEWIS - SHIELING? (Undated)

AIRIGH CNOC NA H-AIBHNE, LEWIS - SHIELING? (Undated)

Sheilings on this part of the moor were used by Bernera crofters prior to 1872, when sporting estates were established at Morsgail and Scaliscro. The grazing right on this land was taken off them and they were forced to move nearer home.

Summary:

SHIELING? (Undated)

Location:

NB 190 253

Full description:

NB12NE 8 190 253

What may be one unroofed shieling-hut is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1853, sheet 31). One unroofed building is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973) approximately 60m to the NE of the location of the building on the 1st edition.
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 12 August 1997

Acknowledgement:

Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.

 

Title: AIRIGH CNOC NA H-AIBHNE, LEWIS - SHIELING? (Undated)
Record Type: Historical/ Archaeological Sites
Type: Shieling
SMR Record ID: MWE134763
Grid Ref Northing: 925300
Grid Ref Easting: 119000
Record Maintained By: CEBL
Subject Id: 31024