You are here

GEARRAIDH GEURE DHUBH BHEAG, LEWIS - SHIELING? (Undated)

GEARRAIDH GEURE DHUBH BHEAG, LEWIS - SHIELING? (Undated)

Sheilings on this part of the moor were used by Bernera crofters prior to 1872, when sporting estates were established at Morsgail and Scaliscro. The grazing right on this land was taken off them and they were forced to move nearer home.

Summary:

SHIELING? (Undated)

Location:

NB 2039 2643

Full description:

NB22NW 7 2039 2643

What may be six unroofed shieling-huts, annotated as Ruins, are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1853, sheet 31). Six black dots which may indicate the location of buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 12 August 1997

Acknowledgement:

Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.

 

Title: GEARRAIDH GEURE DHUBH BHEAG, LEWIS - SHIELING? (Undated)
Record Type: Historical/ Archaeological Sites
Type: Shieling
SMR Record ID: MWE134875
Grid Ref Northing: 926430
Grid Ref Easting: 120390
Record Maintained By: CEBL
Subject Id: 31063