You are here

Eishken Estate, Lewis

Eishken Estate, Lewis

Eishken Estate is located in the Pairc area of Lewis. The crofting settlement after which it is named was cleared in 1833 to make way for sheep.

It forms part of the former 70,000-acre Park Estate, owned in 1876 by Sir James Matheson. At that time it was managed as a sheep farm with shootings and let to Mr Patrick Sellar, who sub-let the sporting rights to Mr Alfred Bonham-Carter of London, Referee for Private Bills in the House of Commons. Mr Bonham-Carter came to Pairc every year to stalk, shoot and fish, staying for around two months in the wooden shooting lodge at Eishken.

In 1883, the lease of the estate expired and the shooting lodge was destroyed by fire. The proprietor, Lady Matheson, unable to find a new farming tenant, gradually cleared the estate of its flock of around 11,000 sheep before letting it as a deer forest to Mr Joseph Platt of Uttoxeter, Staffordshire. Mr Platt immediately built a large stone shooting lodge at Eishken, as well as constructing an extensive network of stalking footpaths throughout the forest. He also acquired a steam launch, the "Puffin" to transport his guests from Eishken pier to the more remote areas, accessible only by sea.

In 1924, the then proprietor of the Island of Lewis, Viscount Leverhulme, put the Park Deer Forest up for sale in two portions; the 27,350 acre Park Crofters Estate and the Eishken Estate, which extended to 42,598 acres and covered the afforested areas of the property, having an annual sporting rental value of £1,800. Mrs Platt purchased Eishken in 1925, as well as acquiring the shooting and fishing rights over the Park Crofters Estate on a lease at a rental of £400 per annum.

 

Title: Eishken Estate, Lewis
Record Type: Locations
Type: Estate
Grid Ref Easting: 129428
Grid Ref Northing: 917256
Record Maintained By: CECL
Subject Id: 18114